Highlights from Kirk Ferentz’s presser — 9/27

Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz gets interviewed after the Iowa-Illinois State game in Kinnick on Saturday, Sept. 5, 2015. The Hawkeyes defeated the Redbirds, 31-14. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

Each week Kirk Ferentz talks with the media on Tuesday. Here’s what he had to say this week.

• “Certainly happy we’re preparing for a football game and not sandbagging.”
  • Says that Northwestern is an established program and they have a challenge ahead of them.
  • Obviously disappointed by Matt VandeBerg’s injury, says he will be out for a significant amount of time.
  • Jonathan Parker is working his way back, but has missed a lot of time.
  • Ferentz isn’t even going to “try and guess” what will happen with a potential Matt VandeBerg redshirt. It’s going to be a similar fight to what happened with Drew Ott last year. There’s no way Ferentz is looking forward to this.
  • Complimentary of Northwestern. Says Justin Jackson is as good as he was last year.
  • Jay Scheel might be playing a couple positions, as will Riley McCarron.
  • Says McCarron might play a couple positions, says he has improved a lot as a player.
  • Says Iowa’s identity is to not make errors… says it’s hard to win games when the offensive is making mistakes.
  • On Ronald Nash: “We’ve watched him grow at each turn. He’s gotten a lot better… we’ve seen his confidence grow.”
  • Derrick Mitchell Jr. is back in practice. Adrian Falconer is also injured.
  • “This is hardly a crisis stage.”
  • Says that WR Devonte Young has done a good job, might have a bit of an opportunity. Also mentions that he he is a physically mature player.
  • Homecoming game: Said the football team went out and signed autographs, doesn’t expect it to be much of a distraction.
  • “We’ve got the greatest country in the world, expression is healthy.”
  • Michael Slater is back practicing.