Halftime report: Iowa 7, Rutgers 0

Iowa tight end George Kittle holds up the ball after scoring a touchdown during the Iowa-Nebraska game at Memorial Stadium on Friday, Nov. 27, 2015. Kittle scored the first touchdown of the game.The Hawkeyes defeated the Cornhuskers, 28-20, to finish off a perfect regular season. (The Daily Iowan/ John Theulen)

By Jordan Hansen | Jordan-Hansen @uiowa.edu

PISCATAWAY— It took a long drive before the end of the half, but the Hawkeyes finally got on the board.

Iowa put together an incredible 99 yard, 1:30 drive that gave them a 7-0 lead before halftime, capping it off with a nice touchdown pass from C.J. Beathard to George Kittle.

However, neither team has been great today and the biggest play — a 77-yard pass from Rutgers’ quarterback Chris Laviano to wide receiver Janarion Grant — resulted in an injury to Grant.

Iowa’s defense has played well in this game, but the offense didn’t manage to cross the 50-yard line until the second quarter. When the Hawks did, the offense managed to get down to the red zone, but an overthrow on fourth down ended the drive.

The Hawkeyes running game has moved in spurts, as has the passing game, but the lack of consistency has hurt the team.

Iowa gets the ball back first in the second half, which is a bonus for Kirk Ferentz’s squad. Ending the half on a positive note was huge, and starting the last 30 minutes with another huge drive could be big as well.

screen-shot-2016-09-24-at-1-32-15-pm