UI Dance Marathon unveils new fundraising goal

UI students cheer during the opening ceremony of the 22nd Dance Marathon in the Iowa Memorial Union on Friday, Feb. 5, 2016. There are over 220 families in attendance this year. (The Daily Iowan/Valerie Burke)

The University of Iowa Dance Marathon announced its fundraising goal for Dance Marathon 23 (2017) goal on Sept. 23, 132 days before the big event. The fundraising goal for this year’s dance marathon is $2.759 million.

The organization raised more than $2.4 million in its last fundraising effort at Dance Marathon 22, in February.

The announcement closes out this year’s Lime Days, a week full of events to spread awareness about Dance Marathon.

The announcement took place at an event in the IMU from 2 to 4 p.m. Sept. 23. Along with the announcement, snacks were available, and karaoke provided entertainment.
In a statement released by the organization, Executive Director Morgan Kennedy said, “The goal for Dance Marathon 23 is based upon the large number of pediatric-cancer families who unfortunately join our Dance Marathon family each year and how much financial support we provide to each of these families.”

Dance Marathon 23 will be held on Feb. 3 to 4, 2017.

“Goals help the Dance Marathon community to stay motivated and always push ourselves to do more,” Kennedy said. “While our participants provide an immeasurable amount of emotional support to the families we serve, goals give them measurable aspirations and allow them to do things they never thought possible.”
— by Elianna Novitch