Behind the line, but out of trouble

Alex Kroeze
Iowa quarterback CJ Beathard leads the Hawkeyes out of the tunnel at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, September 10. Iowa went on to beat Iowa State 42-3. (The Daily Iowan/ Alex Kroeze)

C.J. Beathard is running backwards, but that’s (mostly) OK.

By Jordan Hansen

For the second week in a row, the Hawkeye’s blew out a decidedly weaker opponent at home in Kinnick Stadium.

It’s not often Iowa posts back-to-back blowout wins to start the season, and as such, the Hawkeyes stats are partially inflated. Still, tendencies have started to emerge as the third week of the season begins, both on offense and defense.

Beathard rushing yards: minus-29

Through two games, the Iowa starting quarterback has not ran the ball nearly as much as he did last season.

Two games into last season, Beathard had more than 100 yards rushing with 2 touchdowns to boot. This year, he’s ran the ball twice — on a broken play early in the first quarter against Iowa State and a quarterback sneak to score a touchdown later in the same game.

Iowa has yet to come out in any serious read-option look and seems to avoid designing a run play for him at all costs. It’s worked out just fine for the Hawkeyes so far, as LeShun Daniels Jr. and Akrum Wadley have been solid in the backfield.

There has been no reason for him to run the ball, so he hasn’t. Beathard was hurt diving for a touchdown last season, and the injury nagged him throughout the season. This seems to be a coaching move, and putting a quarterback in a risky situation when Iowa has so many weapons would be questionable at best.

Beathard is still mobile while he is searching downfield for a receiver, which is a huge asset to his game. Even if he isn’t rushing as much this year, there’s still a threat, which means opposing defenses have to prepare for it.

If the preparation includes moving personnel around to account for (or “spy” on) him, it’s a win for the Hawkeyes. Fewer players covering the Iowa wide receivers downfield means easier throws for Beathard.

Through two games, his completion percentage has jumped nearly 5 percentage points over last year’s mark of 61.6 percent. He’s making even better throws than last season and is generally an all-around better player.

In fact, the only reason he has such a high negative rushing value is because of sacks being recorded as negative rushing yards at the college level.

Without the 4 sacks, he’d have just a single negative yard rushing this season.

George Kittle receptions: 3

After not catching a pass against Miami (Ohio) in the Hawkeyes’ first game of the year, tight end George Kittle had 29 yards on 3 catches against Iowa State.

He also caught his first touchdown of the year.

Kittle disappeared quite often in Iowa’s first game of the year, with his most noticeable moment coming when he dropped an easy touchdown. However, Beathard found one of his favorite red-zone targets for a quick score against the Cyclones.

Most of the Hawkeyes receptions this year have gone to Matt VandeBerg, and a consistent second wideout has yet to emerge.

Iowa rushing touchdowns: 8

Wadley and Daniels each have 3 touchdowns, with Derrick Mitchell Jr. adding another, and Beathard punched in the eighth.

That mark is tied for seventh-most in the nation. Arizona State has the highest number of rushing touchdowns so far this year, with 12.

The Hawkeyes offensive line has played well this year, and neither Wadley nor Daniels has had any issue running the ball. Iowa’s offense has looked unstoppable when both players are rolling.