Regents may move on Main Library

Marissa Payne, [email protected]

The state Board of Regents’ Property and Facilities Committee on Wednesday agreed to recommend to the regents that they approve a $50 million modernization plan for the University of Iowa Main Library as part of the regents’ five-year state-funded capital plan.

Improvements to library would include, perhaps most notably, an expansion of the Library Learning Commons project.

“It serves all UI students, faculty, staff, and the public as well as the state,” said Rod Lehnertz, the UI vice president for Finance and Operations. “Much of the work that goes on in the building also benefits communities and [the] state.”

Because of its proximity to the Pentacrest, UI administrators chose the Main Library as the top priority in the capital plan, Lehnertz said.

“It’s a building that is constantly used, especially on our undergraduate side of the campus,” he said.

Additionally, the 400,000-square-foot building, which was constructed in 1951, has a “considerable” deferred maintenance need, Lehnertz said. The library’s deferred maintenance costs are $29.6 million, also the largest on campus.

“Roughly $21.5 million in non-state appropriated funds [are] already invested in that facility, leaving [us] to address the balance of the building and take care of all the deferred maintenance for the project itself,” he said.

More than 1 million people have visited the library in the past year, Lehnertz said.

UI student Kaylie Wilson said she thinks additional work done to improve the library will increase the number of visitors.

“I think that more renovations will draw more students in, because with anything that’s new, it automatically draws more attention,” she said. “They will want to continue coming back to use the new features of the library.”

With recent additions to the library such as the Learning Commons and a gallery space, Lehnertz said the UI continues to draw more people into the library.

“It’s a great mix of both museum and library sciences, and in fact currently has the First Folio of William Shakespeare on display,” he said. “The folio is on the national tour, [with] one location in every one of the 50 states.”

These renovations shift the library’s purpose from being a storage place to a location for students to engage in what Lehnertz refers to as “library-learning teaming experiences.”

“We have invested in an off-site storage facility that has a capacity for 5 million volumes and has allowed us to begin a decompression of the Main Library so that it isn’t just a collection and a storage facility for books but rather a facility for students, faculty, staff and the general public,” he said.

The UI has also announced plans to put a new art museum next to the library, as previously reported by The Daily Iowan in an interview with UI President Bruce Harreld.

“We’ll be able to put the new art museum next to the library but also at the same time we’ll be able to improve the library’s … systems and let the two buildings play off one another; maybe [we’ll] put some of the art in the library,” he said.

Lehnertz also acknowledged the benefits of choosing to put the museum near the Main Library.

“The site that we are proposing for our new museum being immediately south of the Main Library affords us … both developmental as well as operational efficiencies and the interactions between these two converging interests in student use of the campus, he said.”

Michael Hager, the vice president of Finance and Operations at the University of Northern Iowa, also proposed main-library modernization plans at the meeting as part of UNI’s five-year capital plans.

The regents will vote on the five-year capital plans at today’s meeting in the IMU.

Marissa Payne, Managing Editor
Email: [email protected] Twitter: @marissa42_ Marissa Payne is the Managing Editor of The Daily Iowan. She started working at the DI her freshman year as a news reporter covering the UI administration and Iowa Board of Regents, and also as a page designer. Additionally, she has served as News Editor and Digital Editor. During her sophomore year,...
  • Regents may move on Main Library

Lawsuit against University of Iowa presidential search committee settled

• Regents may move on Main Library

University of Iowa enrollment down after intentional growth management

• Regents may move on Main Library

Higher Education

Jim Lindenmayer assumes position on state Board of Regents

• Regents may move on Main Library

Higher Education

Iowa Board of Regents to unveil new multi-year tuition model in November

• Regents may move on Main Library

Iowa regents OK proposal for UI’s new innovation center

• Regents may move on Main Library

Tippie to start a complete online professional MBA program

• Regents may move on Main Library

Board of Regents discusses UIHC audit, comments on Modern Piping allegations

• Regents may move on Main Library

Higher Education

Board of Regents reviews transfer of land to UI

• Regents may move on Main Library

Board of Regents considers department closures and additions

• Regents may move on Main Library

‘There’s no joy’ in closing centers, Provost Curry tells Iowa Board of Regents