Highlights from Kirk Ferentz’s press conference — 8/30

By Jordan Hansen

Each week Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz meets with the assembled media on Tuesday afternoon. Here are a few quips from his presser.

• Kirk Ferentz opens by talking about traffic, went to Back Porch Revival.
  • “Can’t overstate how important camp is”
  • There’s also been quite a few scouts in and around, Ferentz noted how he keeps getting compliments on the facility. The team sure does love it.
  • Josey Jewell, Desmond King, C.J. Beathard and Matt VandeBerg are the captains this week and probably for the entire season.
  • Plenty of compliments for Miami of Ohio. Doesn’t sound like Iowa is trying to under or over think this.
  • “Anxious to get going for the first game… it was nice to get it warmed up last Saturday night.”
  • Ferentz feels the wide receiver group has “made good progress” and talks a bit about the rest of the young guys, with a Jay Scheel name drop as well.
  • Says Bo Bowers spot isn’t nailed down yet, but says it’s a good story that he’s won this position. Always an “eager, hardworking guy.” Sounds like Iowa will play a couple guys at that spot.
  • Ron Coluzzi has won the punting job for now, he’s older — a Central Michigan transfer and has already graduated — and is happy that he has someone older around to help mentor, but also things they picked up a “really good punter.”
  • Keith Duncan is the kicker, doesn’t seem like Ferentz doesn’t want to rotate, but it still seems like things are up in the air a little bit. Ferentz calls him a “really good football player.”
  • Talks a bit about C.J. sliding, “Tucker was a baseball player, maybe he taught C.J. a couple things this weekend.”
  • Says Aaron Mends still has a great attitude and has improved greatly
  • Devonte Young: “We had some vacancies at the position” but it’s more than that, Ferentz also says he’s picked up the offense well, looked good over the summer and he’s “really encouraged by what he’s seeing.”
  • Toks Akinribade might see some time.
  • On defensive ends: “We got three guys really playing well right now, the Nelson cousins, or law firm, whatever, and Parker Hesse.” Brady Reiff also has moved up quite a bit on the depth chart, sitting at about the No. 4 DE right now.
  • “We’re still working on the tight end thing.” Says Peter Pekar has done well, would guess he’s the No. 2 TE right now and will play significant time this year.
  • On Miami of Ohio: “They’re a veteran team, they have a lot of guys back…. we have a lot of respect for them.”
  • Mentions Miles Taylor “he’s gotten a lot better,” says something similar about Parker Hesse, who he feels “got in a little bit before he was ready.”
  • Keegan Render has also been spending some time with the starting offensive line.