Anderson to leave Hawkeyes

Purdue runner Caleb Kerr and Iowa runners Nate Ferree and Ben Anderson compete against each other at the Big 10 conference cross country meet on Sunday, Nov. 2, 2014. Michigan State won the women’s title, and Wisconsin claimed the men’s title. For individual titles, Michigan State runner Leah O’Conner won the women’s race, and Wisconsin runner Malachy Schrobilgen won the men’s race. (The Daily Iowan/John Theulen)

By Blake Dowson

After 13 years serving as a coach for the Hawkeye track and cross-country teams, Layne Anderson will leave the program.

Anderson has been the head coach of the women’s cross-country team since 2003, and he was also named the head coach of the men’s side before the 2014 season.

He also served as the head coach of the women’s track and field team from 2008-11 and was the head man of the combined program from 2012-2014.

“I would like to thank Gary Barta, Paula Jantz, and Joey Woody for the opportunity to be an Iowa Hawkeye the past 13 years,” Anderson said in a release. “I depart for a new chapter in my professional life and leave with wonderful memories and lifelong friends. I look forward to following Hawkeye athletics for years to come and wish much continued success to my Hawkeye family.”

Under the helm of Anderson, the women’s cross-country program had six All-Americans, three Midwest NCAA regional champions, and one Big Ten champion.

The team also qualified for three-straight NCAA Championships under Anderson; he inherited a squad that hadn’t been to NCAAs for 14 years.

He will leave Iowa to take the assistant track and field/cross-country position at Tennessee, in Knoxville.

“Layne has touched hundreds, if not thousands, of student-athletes’ lives during his time at Iowa,” Barta said in a release. “We are grateful for his dedication and passion as a Hawkeye the past 13 years and wish him well on his next journey with Tennessee.”