UIHC ranks high once again

FILE – The University of Iowa Health Care building is seen on Wednesday, Oct. 1, 2016. (The Daily Iowan/file)

The UI Hospitals and Clinics is among best in the nation, a report says.

By Kendrew Panyanouvong

The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics has once again landed on an annual list compiled by U.S. News & World Report, UI Health Care leaders announced Monday.

Recognized among one of the “Best Hospitals in America” in the nation and as the best hospital in the state, UIHC was ranked overall in seven specialties.

It was No. 5 in ear, nose, and throat, No. 7 in ophthalmology, No. 16 in orthopedics, No. 34 in cancer, No. 34 in urology, No. 47 in neurology and neurosurgery, and No. 49 in gynecology.

“These rankings are an indicator of the high quality of our programs,” said Jean Robillard, the UI vice president for Medical Affairs, in a statement released by the hospital. “Iowans can be confident when they entrust their health care to our world-class health-care team.”

The UIHC was also recognized as “high-performing” in diabetes and endocrinology, gastroenterology and GI surgery, geriatrics and nephrology specialties.

“Some academic medical centers have several strong programs, but the fact that we have so many is a testament to our deep commitment to patient care, research, and education,” said Patricia Winokur, the associate dean of the Carver College of Medicine, in the release.

U.S. News’ “Best Hospitals in America” list focuses on the best hospitals that meet the needs of patients and that commitment to the most challenging and medically complex patients.

“We are extremely proud of all of our faculty and staff who do such a great job of providing excellent service, outstanding care and exceptional outcomes for our patients,” said Kenneth Kates, the associate vice president of UI Health Care. “We are so pleased to see their efforts being recognized on the national level.”