B1g media days team reports: Penn State comeback continues; roster blooms

James Franklin, Penn State head gives his opening speech at day one of B1G media days on Monday, July 25, 2016. Still in his 3rd year Franklin received questions in regard to Penn States scandal with its previous coach. (The Daily Iowan/Jordan Gale)

By Courtney Baumann

For the first time in more than four years, Penn State will have 85 players on scholarship.

The 2016 season marks the definitive end of the sanctions put forth in 2012 following the Jerry Sandusky scandal.

On July 23, 2012, the NCAA ruled Penn State ineligible regarding bowl games for four years, took away 20 scholarships, rescinded more than 100 victories throughout the school’s history, and handed down a $60 million fine. The NCAA also gave players the option to transfer schools freely and not have to sit out a season, as they normally would have under the rules.

Now, four years later, the 100 wins have been restored, Penn State is once again bowl eligible  — the NCAA lifted those sanctions in 2014 — and has a full roster of 85 scholarships back.

Penn State head coach James Franklin said the return of all 85 scholarships is significant, not only because the Nittany Lions can more easily recruit players but also because it makes the team more competitive from within.

“Obviously, our first year being back to the 85 scholarships is significant,” the third-year head coach said. “It’s really going to be important for the development of our guys, development of our program as a whole.”

Franklin isn’t the only one who has noticed, either.

Senior linebacker Brandon Bell has also seen the extra fight guys have started putting out on the field.

“You have a lot of good athletes going against good athletes,” Bell said. “There is a lot more one-on-one action out there and guys just being more competitive for spots.”

Before the sanctions were lifted, the depth at each position got smaller. That is no longer the case.

Just one example is on the offensive line. When Franklin became the head coach, there were only nine scholarships for offensive linemen. Now, that number is up to 17.

Brian Gaia is a former defensive lineman who recently made the switch to the offensive line — he is now the team’s starting center.

With the fewer scholarships on the offensive line, it has been seen as something that has been holding the team back over the past few years. However, Gaia believes that will not be the case any longer.

“I think this is the year that we prove that we aren’t the thing holding the team back,” the senior said. “We’ve been putting in the work all summer and all winter, just grinding.”

The offensive line is not the only area that the team hopes to see improvement in.

Both the coaches and players are eager to see how the running-back position will develop with underclassmen Saquon Barkley, Miles Sanders, and Andre Robinson.

As Penn State is on its way back to normalcy post-sanctions, hope surrounds the team.

“There’s a lot of change going on, but I think with change brings opportunity,” Franklin said. “This is a pivotal and exciting time in our sport, with the NCAA, with the Big Ten and specifically Penn State. So I couldn’t be more excited to get going for this season.”