Peschel nabs aide job

Iowa forward Kali Peschel attempts to shoot the ball during the Iowa-Baylor game of the Sweet Sixteen round of the NCAA tournament in Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City on Friday, March 27, 2015. The Hawkeyes were defeated by the Bears, 81-66. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

Although Kali Peschel’s minutes started to tail off towards the end of her successful career on the Iowa women’s basketball team, she continued to be an important leader on the squad.

Peschel, who graduated last spring, will continue her leadership in the game of basketball after being hired to be an assistant coach at the College of St. Benedict, an NCAA Division 3 school in her native Minnesota.

In a Facebook post on Tuesday, Peschel shared her excitement to continue her career in basketball.

“Really excited to start a new adventure with a great group of people. Huge thank you to Mike Durbin and staff for giving me an amazing opportunity,” Peschel said in her post.

Durbin, the head coach of the Blazers, recruited Peschel when she was playing high-school basketball in Sauk Centre, Minnesota.

Peschel chose instead to attend Iowa and was a key player off the bench two seasons ago when the Hawkeyes made the NCAA Tournament and advanced to the Sweet 16.

“I feel very fortunate to welcome someone like Kali who has such an impressive athletic resume into our program,” Durbin said in a release. “There is no question that our athletes will benefit from Kali’s experiences as a former Division 1 athlete, and as someone that can relate to our athletes as a recent collegiate graduate.”

Peschel played in 131 games in her Iowa career, starting 20 of 33 games during her senior season. She also made three starts her junior season and 19 starts during her sophomore campaign.

She averaged 4.7 points per game last season and also pulled down 3.6 rebounds per game.

— by Blake Dowson