Letter to the editor

An open letter to the Office of Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa.

Dear Rep. King,

You’ve recently attributed Western civilization and white Christians with the majority of contributions to civilization. Your dangerous misinterpretation of history is an embarrassment to Iowans, Americans, and, frankly, humanity.

The first few are “contributions” to civilization that spring to mind? Fire. The wheel. Domestication. Agriculture. Writing. All existed before “Western civilization” or Christianity, and all are the bedrocks of society.

While we’re still in Mesopotamia, don’t forget to chalk up beer, wine, coin currency, locks and keys, construction, metalworking, soap, and the windmill.

Looking for more modern examples? How about mathematics, the decimal system, playing cards, camcorders, chocolate, the compass, and toothbrushes?

All came from far outside the sphere of “Western civilization” and white people, many came before Western civilization decided to trample its way through the rest of the world.

Western civilization is responsible for more killing, mass murder, and genocide than any other civilization, though. I’d consider these actions “uncivilized.” Barbaric, even.

Please, go to your local library. Pick up a book. Now, here’s the tricky part: Don’t grab one you were assigned by teachers in your predominantly white educational system. Find something that you don’t recognize. Get cozy in one of those plush kiddie chairs. Read the book. I hope this does something to open up your mind.

— Jacob Prall