Ex-Hawk Dennis heads to Rio

Men’s freestyle 57 kg Dan Dennis wrestles Alan Waters during the second day of the 2016 Wrestling Olympic trials in Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Sunday, April 10, 2016. Dennis defeated Waters with a 9-2 decision. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

By Jordan Hansen

Daniel Dennis is nearing the start of his journey to the Olympics.

The former Iowa wrestler, speaking for the last time before he departs for Rio de Janerio, the United States qualifier at 57 kg (let’s take a trip into memory lane on that one in a moment), seemed cool and confident, ready to face the significant challenge ahead.

“The work’s been done; now, it’s just about staying sharp and staying ready,” Dennis said. “I’ve got coaches that analyze opponents, analyze me — looking for chinks in my armor and gettin’ those out.”

He certainly looked like he had everything figured out in April, during the Olympic Trials as he qualified for the team, beating Tony Ramos in the finals.

Ramos, of course, won the 2014 national championship at 133 pounds at Iowa, before making two-straight world teams. Both Dennis and Ramos trained together leading up to the Trials as members of the Hawkeye Wrestling Club.

Each weight class has to be individually qualified for the Olympics, which Ramos did in March, at the Pan Am Qualifier. Things were pointing to Ramos having a serious shot at a medal and he was favored to win the weight class and the Olympic spot.

Instead, Dennis won the first two matches in a best-of-three final, and he is headed to the Olympics.

“It’s something that evolved to a reality,” Dennis said. “And ultimately it’s what you want to do, right?”

It was an upset, but also an opportunity. There hasn’t been a former Iowa wrestler at the Olympic medal stand since 2000, and while he’s ranked No. 15 in the final United World Wrestling rankings, it wouldn’t exactly be the first time he’s pulled an upset.

Dennis will, however, have to wait a bit to do so. The opening ceremonies are on Aug. 5, but the Olympic wrestling tournament doesn’t begin until Aug. 14. The medal rounds for Dennis’ weight class won’t even be held until Aug. 19.

He told media that his plan was to fly out on Aug. 2, though he wasn’t sure if he plans to attend the opening ceremonies.

“I’m debating right now about that,” Dennis said. “I’m getting a lot of push to do it, so we’ll see.”

Getting ready for the games has been a long process that is entering its final stages. Dennis seems very collected and focused. Limiting distractions has been a big part of his way to remain clear headed.

“Away from the mat I don’t like doing much more than riding my bike nowadays and playing with my dog,” Dennis said. “There’s been a couple of things they’ve dragged me to.”

His time on the mat he mentioned is often the Iowa wrestling room and usually with Iowa wrestling coaches Tom and Terry Brands. Both Brands’ brothers medaled in the Olympics, with Tom winning a gold at the 1996 Olympics and Terry a bronze in the 2000 games.

Tom Brands will join the Olympic wrestling team as a volunteer coach. It’ll give Dennis a familiar face around as well as someone who has plenty of experience in big tournaments.

Soon enough, Dennis will compete for gold. Until then, he’ll have to figure out how to stay focused in the midst of the largest tournament of his life.

Follow @JordyHansen for Iowa sports news, updates and analysis.