Thompson: Healthily, in the unique style of Iowa City

A woman purchases her groceries from the Iowa City Farmers Market on Oct. 28, 2015. The Market ended Oct. 31 and the winter market will start on Nov. 8. (The Daily Iowan/Glenn Sonnie Wooden)

BY HELAINA THOMPSON

Piles of furniture delegated to the curb, U-Hauls parked on every corner, and longer lines at Bluebird Cafe mean one thing in Iowa City: Another school year is fast approaching. For students new to the Iowa City area, transitioning from the chaos of moving in to the rigor of classes leaves little time to settle into healthy habits. But that’s not to say it can’t be done. In fact, a number of Iowa City locations encourage community health and wellness and are only a short walk or bike ride from campus. Once the boxes are unpacked, be sure to check out:

Iowa City Farmers’ Market

Located on Washington Street across from City Hall, the Farmers’ Market boasts a lineup of local food vendors serving breakfast on-the-spot every Saturday morning until noon. After a breakfast taco, check out the produce stands for a week’s worth of local eggs, veggies, and fresh pasta. Some vendors happily accept credit cards, but it’s always a good idea to bring cash.

Bike Library

Thinking about biking around town? Awesome. If you’re missing the most critical element — a bicycle — visit the Bike Library, just a few blocks south of the Pedestrian Mall. For a $100-$200 deposit, visitors can check out a gently used, properly sized bike for up to six months and receive a full refund when the bike is returned. If you choose to keep the bike after six months, the Bike Library simply assumes your deposit.

Lululemon

Every Saturday at 10 a.m., Lululemon hosts a community yoga class in its storeroom on Linn Street. Certified yoga instructors rotate through each week to teach all-levels of yoga. Yoga offers some of the best mental and physical health care out there and can be modified for all shapes, sizes, and ages. The best part? The classes are free, and Lululemon supplies mats.

• Running Wild

I used to think running wasn’t my “thing” until Running Wild coupled me with a proper pair of running shoes. The Running Wild staff members specialize in gait analysis, which means they watch you walk and run, then they pick out the best shoes for your feet. Let the staff know you are a student at checkout to receive a 10 percent discount. Once purchased, take your kicks out for a spin with the UI Running Club. The members meet outside Running Wild’s Washington Street store every Tuesday and Thursday at 5:30 p.m.

• Asian Market

This aptly titled grocery store nestled on Gilbert Street sells an abundance of fresh noodles, rice, sauces and seasonings, and colorful produce to inspire your next stir-fry. You’ll also find jars of delicious Korean kimchi, deemed one of the world’s healthiest foods.

• New Pioneer Co-op

For the widest variety of grocery items within walking distance of downtown Iowa City, check out New Pioneer Co-op, situated on Washington Street. Does its prices compete with Walmart? Usually no, but its ethics do. New Pioneer strives to offer local, sustainably sourced foods, and its profits largely feed back into the Iowa economy. And because much of its produce hasn’t traveled very far to reach the store, it tastes better. Membership isn’t required, but you can become a Co¬op member to receive special discounts.

• The cheeseburgers at George’s, 312 E. Market St.

Because everything in moderation.