Roesler wins school vote

By Kendrew Panyanouvong

Paul Roesler, an outreach leader at Scheels sporting-goods store in Coralville, will fill the vacant seat on the Iowa City School Board after Tuesday night’s special election.

Roesler, a father of two in the Iowa City School District and a husband of a kindergarten teacher at Twain Elementary, won 2,938 votes. J.P. Claussen received 2,612 votes, and Janice Weiner trailed with 203, according to unofficial results by the Johnson County Auditor’s Office.

“I’m excited. I’m ready to get started,” Roesler said. “I had a get-together with supporters … to have that final result come in and have everyone feel excited was a special feeling.”

The board unanimously voted on June 7 to hold a special election to fill a vacant seat after Tom Yates resigned from the board on May 13.

In the days leading up the election, Roesler’s position stood firm in wanting to propose a bond issue that would be key for the district, he said. If passed, it would bring in money to help infrastructures at many elementary and secondary schools in the district.

Roesler also touted the district’s current facilities plan, including the decision to close Hoover Elementary in 2019, which would benefit City High students because of plans to use Hoover’s land for upgrades.

“The facilities master plan, the way we have it right now, is pretty well thought out,” Roesler said. “We need to celebrate the things that we have completed in that plan already. Right now, I think we’ve got a good secondary-level plan.”

The election centered on the controversial topic of school boundaries,  and those played a big factor leading up to Tuesday evening’s results.

While a recent decision overturned by the board to assign Kirkwood Elementary students to North Central Junior High and Liberty High, set to open in 2017, Roesler opposed the decision and hopes to re-spark the conversation.

“The board has on the agenda to revisit the secondary boundaries … I think that’s one of the first things they want to tackle,” he said.

Claussen, a former West High special-education teacher for 10 years, and Weiner, a retired U.S Foreign Service officer of 26 years, applauded Roesler on his victory Tuesday night.

“I thought that all three of us were really committed to this district, and I think the School Board would be fortunate to get any of us,”  Weiner said. “I congratulate Paul on his win and J.P. on being a really fine candidate and running a great campaign.” 

Claussen said he plans to run again in 2017 for the board, with the “exact same vision” come election time. His faith is sparked by the short time he was able to get community members involved and excited during his candidacy.

“I called Paul and congratulated him and Janice as well. I was very impressed by Janice. Impressed by her knowledge and wisdom,” Claussen said. “She jumped in the race very late, as did I.”

But Roesler is set to fill the empty seat after being victorious Tuesday night. He aims to try to fix issues with special education in the district, diversifying and integrating kids to help create “racially diverse and economically balanced schools” as well as relieving a retaliation culture among teachers.

He will serve until September 2019.

“I think I have a pretty positive relationship with the board members,” Roesler said. “I don’t think there are any feelings of animosity.”