Roesler stresses fairness, balance in schools

By Mason Clarke

Paul Roesler is not at all unfamiliar with the behind-the-scenes work of the Iowa City School Board. In addition to being a part of the PTA at the elementary-school level, for the last three years, he has attended nearly every School Board meeting.

“I got to hear all of the issues the School Board discussed and not just the ones made public,” Roesler said. “I’m already well-aware of the structure of our School Board. I’m ready to hit the ground running.”

Roesler has been an Iowa City resident for 35 years. He met his wife in high school in Iowa City and was a sports-studies major at the University of Iowa. Today, he works at the local Scheel’s as a community outreach leader and helps organize events such as “Kickoff at Kinnick.” Roesler has two daughters in Iowa City schools.

Roesler is running for a seat on the School Board following the resignation of Tom Yates on May 13. The special election will take place Tuesday, and the newly elected member will hold the position for three years.

Mary Kate Pilcher-Hayek said she decided to become his co-campaign manager because of her trust in him. She knew of him originally because he was always at School Board meetings and said he would often hold additional meetings of his own for parents and teachers to attend that really set him apart.

“If you weren’t in all [the meetings], it’s very hard to understand where we are today,” she said. “He sits and introduces the topic, then lets people talk and ask questions and even basically argue … Then when everyone is done, [he] comes back in and explains stuff. He knows voting history. He knows issue history.”

In terms of issues, Roesler said he has a couple key ones that he feels are essential to bettering the local schools.

“I would be in favor of revisiting the boundary issues talked about last year,” he said. “We’re going to have to pass the geo-bond that will fund the last six years’ worth of the facilities master plan. This plan would make sure all the old schools would get the updates that are necessary.”

Roesler said in the past, the board has elected to build new schools but has not ensured the proper upkeep of the older schools. Some of the older schools currently do not have air conditioning or are not wheelchair accessible.

Roesler also talked about the new Liberty High School, which will not have outdoor sports facilities when it opens, saying he believes it is imperative that that is tended to.

Through any issue, Roseler said, students come first.

“I’m not in it to win a position,” he said. “I’m someone who’s open to hearing from all members of the community, and school, and staff.”

Roesler said hearing from all the different members of the community will be a large focus for him as a way to bring the community and the schools together.

“The biggest thing is that in the time that we’re in right now, I firmly believe we need to have schools that reflect our society,” he said. “I want racially diverse and economically balanced schools.”

Samantha Karrel, a co-campaign manager for Roesler, said on top of endorsements from the mayors of North Liberty and Iowa City, Roesler was also happy to have received a recent endorsement from another big name.

“Zach Wahls recently endorsed Paul,” Karrel said.

Wahls is the author of the famous pro-LGBTQ book My Two Moms.

In light of the recent turmoil surrounding the LGBTQ community, as well as national racial tension, Karrel said, endorsements like these could go a long way for Roesler to prove his commitment to unity.

Pilcher-Hayek said she fully expects Roesler to work to balance the districts and its schools.

“Fairness,” she said. “He’s going to look out for all of the students in the district.”