Jewell a gem in national eyes

Iowa line backer Josey Jewell runs back an interception during the Iowa-Nebraska game at Memorial Stadium on Friday, Nov. 27, 2015. The Hawkeyes defeated the Cornhuskers, 28-20, to finish off a perfect regular season. (The Daily Iowan/ John Theulen)

After a breakout sophomore year, linebacker Josey Jewell is well entrenched in the national consciousness.

Jewell has been named to watch lists for the Butkus Award (best linebacker in the nation) and Bronko Nagurski (best defensive player).  He started every game last season at middle linebacker, tallying 126 tackles and 3 sacks.

Jewell also had 4 interceptions and 7.5 tackles for loss, which led to second-team Big Ten honors from both the coaches and the media.

Barring an injury, Jewell should have another great season. He’s a team captain and the unquestioned vocal leader of the defense. An intelligent player, he has good ball skills and possesses a ferocious capacity for hitting the ball carrier.

There’s little doubt he’ll be able to play at the next level, and for a former two-star recruit, that really is something. Expect him to build on his strong sophomore year and be special once again for the Hawkeyes this season.

—by Jordan Hansen