3 square off in school election

By Austin Petroski

Iowa City School Board candidates responded to community questions and concerns Monday night in the run-up to the special election next week.

At a public forum Monday night, a packed Iowa City Public Library meeting room heard the candidates’ responses to questions gathered from students, teachers, and community members. The forum was hosted by Mission Iowa City, a group created in the spring aimed at meeting the needs of the community.

The School Board election is scheduled for July 19; it follows the resignation of Tom Yates. Janice Weiner, J.P. Claussen, and Paul Roseler are campaigning for the position.

Weiner, an ex-officio member of the International School of Düsseldorf’s Board of Trustees, said the skills she has gained allows her to understand many different perspectives.

“The skillsets I have gained helped me to be an effective member of the School Board and allow me to examine issues from all sides,” she said.

Claussen, an educator at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, noted that he has been previously active in the Iowa City Education Association.

Roseler, an outreach leader at Scheels in Coralville, said he is a great listener and has attended many of the recent School Board meetings.

The candidates were asked about their values and where they stood regarding equality, conflict, and input from staff and faculty.

Roseler said he values fairness and respect, and he believes everyone should acknowledge the “uneven playing field” that exists for many.

“When I make a decision, I consider everyone that it affects,” he said.

Claussen said he believes the board should do more to help children with learning disabilities. The School District has previously been found in violation of requirements of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.

“I will encourage the superintendent to do a better job for the most vulnerable kids,” he said.

Weiner compared the issue of equality to a person trying to see over a fence — those who are tall do not need anything to stand on, whereas some may need a box to stand on.

“We need to make sure we have the tools to educate all of our children,” she said.

The candidates also answered questions about school boundaries, busing, and what sort of effect the School Board could have on neighborhoods in Iowa City.

All of the candidates agreed there needs to be improvements to the transit routes in the Iowa City area.

Claussen said he believes busing is a good option when it minimizes disruption to families.

Roseler said the district needed to look at its own data to notice that there is no correlation between student busing and test scores.

Weiner said there is more to be done on a socioeconomic level by improving the schools. She said the board has the resources to do what it needs to if it is able to allocate its resources properly.

“I think by having quality schools, that is the best draw to bring people into a community, to really lift it up,” she said.