For hawkeye hoops’ frontline, who?

Dom Uhl drives towards the hoop during a Prime Time League basketball game at the North Liberty Community Center on Thursday, July 7, 2016. (The Daily Iowan/Joseph Cress)

By Jordan Hansen

NORTH LIBERTY — Of the many question marks the Iowa basketball team has on its roster this season, none may be bigger than who the Hawkeye’s frontcourt starters will be.

Iowa has had a great run of big men over the past few years, with four-year starting center Adam Woodbury being the mainstay. Forward Jarrod Uthoff and Aaron White also come to mind, but having a true seven-footer stay healthy during his four years was a major part of the Hawkeyes return to respectability.

They’re all gone now and Iowa is left with a shorter and relatively inexperienced group of frontcourt players.
Currently, the two tallest players on Iowa’s roster with the best chance to play are junior Dom Uhl and incoming freshman Tyler Cook. Both are listed at 6-9, though Cook is about 25 pounds heavier than Uhl. Sophomore’s Ahmad Wagner (6-7, 225) and Nicholas Baer (6-7, 200) are in line for even more playing time after seeing the court regularly last year.

Freshman Ryan Kriener (6-9, 240) and 6-7 senior Dale Jones (who missed most of last year with a knee injury) could also contend for playing time.

The names that make the most sense at the five are Tyler Cook and Ahmad Wagner. Now without the height of Woodbury, they won’t exactly be “true” centers, but they will be critical frontcourt players.

“Last year, it was all about defense and rebounding for me,” Wagner said after his July 7th Prime Time League game. “This year [Coach McCaffery] wants me to step into a bigger role as a player.”

Both are physical freaks. Cook destroyed rims and made a huge impression in his first showing in the PTL and followed it up with more solid play. Wagner also looks fluid and possesses a great knack for tracking down rebounds.

Ideally, both players will see plenty of time on the court this year. Cook is ready to play right away and Wagner made huge strides from the beginning to the end of last season.

Scoring production, however, could be the deciding factor on how many minutes they get. Uthoff and Woodbury combined to average 26.5 points per game, which will need to be replaced.

Cook will be asked to score and he certainly is up for the challenge.

“Anywhere in the gym,” Cook said when asked how far his range extended. “My confidence is through the roof right now and I’m going to keep shooting. That’s what the coaches keep telling me too.”

He wants the three-point shot to be part of his game, which could be terrifying for opposing defenses if he proves he can do it on a regular basis. Iowa has had good luck with its big men and outside shooting lately, a trend which should continue.

Baer and Uhl routinely shot threes last year, hitting 39 and 45 percent of their attempts from behind the arc, respectively. Both players will be called upon to do similar damage this year.

“I knew what I was capable of, but I think I surprised a few others,” Baer said. “Kind of the same thing I learned at Bettendorf — if you go out there and play hard, good things will happen.”

In certain lineups, either player could play at the three, four, or five and versatility will go a long ways. Uhl will probably see the floor more and is the more established defender of the two.

He’s also very athletic and has the ability to chase around smaller players on defense. However, it’s really Uhl and Baer’s ability to shoot the ball Iowa’s going to need most in the coming season.

There very well could be lineups that don’t include a single player over 6-7, which will be a massive shift from previous seasons.

How much (and well) Iowa’s frontcourt develops next year will likely determine just how good they’ll be. Certainty, things are going to look different, though the general philosophy remains the same.

“Coach McCaffery always wants to play fast and we have a bunch of athletic guys that can get out in transition.” Uhl said. “We’re going to have to step up.”

Follow @JordyHansen all summer for Iowa sports news, updates and analysis.