Produce produces smiles locally

By Emily Kresse

A plant most people painstakingly try to rid from their driveways and sidewalks, purslane, is the best-selling item at the new Pheasant Ridge produce stand.

“A lot of Sudanese people grow it in their homes because you can’t find it in the store,” said Andrew Coghill-Behrends, the family support director for the Neighborhood Centers of Johnson County. “It’s one of their heritage foods.”

The Pheasant Ridge apartment complex is primarily Section 8 housing, which means qualified residents pay a reduced rent depending on their income level. Currently, there is a high Sudanese population living in the complex, located on Mormon Trek Boulevard.

Nestled among the apartment buildings is the Neighborhood Centers of Johnson County. The organization was created in 1973 as a response to apartment residents’ concern about the safety and community of their neighborhood, known then as the Mark IV Apartments. Initially, the program operated out of a three-bedroom apartment, but today, it is housed in its own building, complete with an outdoor playground.

This year, a pilot program aimed at bringing fresh produce was made possible by a partnership between the center and Local Foods Connection. Through a grant, the center was able to buy a community-supported-agriculture share and sell produce to the neighborhood.

The program chose Echollective, a farm near Mechanicsville, Iowa. Whatever produce does not sell is kept by the center to use for shared meals. Last week’s white chicken chili was enhanced by fresh kale and garlic scapes University of Iowa.

A student from the College of Public Health did a need assessment last semester, which helped Local Foods Connection “identify the needs and desires of the community,” said program Executive Director Cassidy Bell.

The produce stand at Pheasant Ridge seemed a perfect fit with Local Food Connections’ mission to make healthy, local food more accessible.

“It’s making healthy food available to low-income families with busy schedules who can’t necessarily make it to the Farmers’ Market, Co-op, or grocery store,” Bell said. “It’s reaching an immigrant population that has an intrinsic interest in fresh produce and places a high cultural value on food.”

An added bonus for families is the opportunity to learn about a different vegetable every week, and Coghill-Behrends creates a handout with facts and recipe ideas. People who listen to his presentation get a $5 voucher to spend at the stand.

June 30’s featured produce was the turnip, and some had been prepared ahead of time for sampling.

University of Iowa senior Ethel Recinos became involved with Local Foods Connection during a class she took last semester that required students to be matched with a local service agency.

She and Coghill-Behrends are in charge of the produce stand, which is held Thursday from 4-6 p.m. June 30 was the fifth one this season, and residents are warming up to its presence.

“They already know us; now some people come just for the market,” Recinos said.

Coghill-Behrends agreed, saying it’s only going to improve from here.