Opioid U-boat a new worry

By Stefan Coleman

The use of opioid drugs, primarily prescription pain relievers, has become an increasing concern for Iowa and the Midwest. In recent months, a new synthetic drug has added to the problem.

The new drug, U-47700, is a synthetic analgesic drug similar to heroin, and some people have used it for recreational purposes. It has become readily available for purchase online in either forms of pills or powder.

With U-47700 causing its first overdose in Iowa City earlier this month, local authorities have issued a heads-up about the drug; it can cause the same effect as more common opioids but is more lethal.

Edward Bottei, the medical director of the Iowa Poison Control Center, said he knows how dangerous the drug can be. It was developed in the 1970s by Upjohn, but he noted it has never been FDA-approved, meaning the drug isn’t in the system as a banned substance.

“This drug, the U-47700, is highly potent,” he said. “In fact, it’s about 7½ times more potent than morphine, which wouldn’t be great for human consumption … This drug can be considered a heroin alternative because it gives its consumers that same feeling.”

Dale Woolery, the associate director of the Governor’s Office of Drug Control Policy, said he believes this drug is more lethal than people may suspect. Research on it isn’t fully complete, he said, and there is still much more work to do.

“This drug travels fast,” Woolery said. “We don’t have a name for this drug yet — that’s how fast it came on the scene. We’re still learning of these substances on a daily basis.”

He believes the people consuming U-47700 are taking a real risk.

“If you can’t name it or identify it, you’re really playing with fire,” Woolery said.

Over the past few years, Iowa City police have made an attempt to crack down on synthetic drugs to try to keep them, and the effects of them, out of the community.

The opportunity for people to attain new synthetic opioids can be dangerous if the drugs are new, untested, and unregulated.

Last week, the owner of the shop Zombies, previously  located at 316 E. Burlington St., was charged with conspiring to distribute synthetic cannabinoids.

Roger Keene, the manager of the Convenience Store and the Konnexion, 106 S. Linn St., said he has seen how serious the Iowa City police are about eliminating synthetic drugs.

“They have raided stores in attempt to get rid of the synthetic drugs and make sure stores aren’t selling it,” Keene said. “Not only is Iowa City banning these drugs, but it’s looked down upon everywhere.”