Ex-Hawks compete in swimming, diving trials

Iowa diver Addison Boschult dives into the pool during the NCAA Zone Diving in the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center on Monday, March 9, 2015. The zone diving this week with determine the top four male divers from each event who will compete at the NCAA championships. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

Two former Hawkeye athletes competed at the U.S. Olympic Diving Team Trials from June 18-through Sunday.

Iowa alumnus Addison Boschult competed in Indianapolis over the weekend, finishing 17th in the men’s platform competition. Boschult qualified for the semifinal of the event with a score of 292.35 during preliminaries, but his overall score of 570.90 after the semifinal round was not enough to make the finals.

Deidre Freeman-Huff, a 2011 graduate of the Iowa women’s diving program, also competed at the Olympic trials. Freeman-Huff placed ninth in the women’s 3-meter springboard competition, finishing the finals with a score of 840.90.

Mike Nelson, another 2016 Iowa graduate of the men’s swimming and diving program, traveled to Omaha over the weekend to compete in the USA swimming trials. Nelson finished 43rd in the men’s 100-breaststroke, his only event.

Nelson had the 46th-fastest qualifying time in the event, but his 1:02.62 finish bumped him up three spots.

— by Blake Dowson