‘Unique’ Uthoff waits on draft

Iowa+Hawkeyes+forward+Jarrod+Uthoff+%2820%29+shoots+a+three+point+shot+against+Villanova+Wildcats+guard+Josh+Hart+%283%29+in+the+Barclays+Center+on+Sunday%2C+March+20%2C+2016+in+Brooklyn%2C+New+York.+Uthoff+ended+the+game+with+6+rebounds%2C+16+points%2C+and+2+assists.+The+Wildcats+defeated+the+Hawkeyes%2C+87-68.+
Iowa Hawkeyes forward Jarrod Uthoff (20) shoots a three point shot against Villanova Wildcats guard Josh Hart (3) in the Barclays Center on Sunday, March 20, 2016 in Brooklyn, New York. Uthoff ended the game with 6 rebounds, 16 points, and 2 assists. The Wildcats defeated the Hawkeyes, 87-68.

By Blake Dowson

For all of the hoopla and credit former Iowa State head basketball coach Fred Hoiberg got for “having NBA connections” and “getting players to the pros,” the Hawkeye program is set to have its third player drafted in as many years today, a span in which Iowa State has failed to have one.

Devyn Marble (2014) and Aaron White (2015) have been selected in the second round of the previous two NBA drafts, and Jarrod Uthoff will likely follow in their footsteps today.

There was a time in January when Uthoff was looked at as a likely mid-to-late first-round prospect, but a decline in production toward the end of the season backed those predictions off a bit.

Still, he is a safe bet to be taken early in the second round because of his unique skills and ability to play — and guard — numerous positions.

“Uthoff’s appeal from an NBA perspective isn’t based as much on his physical tools as it is on his impressive, albeit inconsistent, offensive ability,” Matt Kamalsky of DraftExpress wrote. “An exceptionally smooth, prolific jump shooter who can score in a variety of ways, Uthoff did a little bit of everything for the Hawkeyes this season as the team’s clear first option.”

The lanky forward from Cedar Rapids absolutely flashed first-round talent this season. There were times when he simply took over games and left opponents shaking their heads in disbelief. But there were also times when he went mostly silent, failing to have an effect on the game for long stretches at a time.

The Hawkeye’s trip to Ames is the perfect example; Uthoff scored 30 points in the first half on 11-of-13 shooting and the Cyclones had zero answers for him. The second half was a different story, however, when he went 1-of-7 from the field and didn’t shoot a single free throw.

along with his age (he’s “already” 23), but his skill set is undeniable.

His ability to create his own shots, whether it be off a one-dribble pull up or down on the block, is among the best in the draft. He is incredibly crafty with the basketball in his hands as highlighted by his jumpers off one leg and ability to use both hands around the rim.

He is almost as intriguing on the defensive end. According to DraftExpress, Uthoff is one of only eight college players to record 25 minutes per game and average over 1 steal and 3 blocks per 40 minutes, pace adjusted. He was one of only two high major players to do it.

Uthoff also spent much of the year guarding on the perimeter, as he wasn’t a traditional power forward in a lineup where he technically was the 4. He isn’t the quickest defender, but he makes up for it with his length and shot-blocking savvy.

ESPN’s Chad Ford has said it would not surprise him if Uthoff went in the first round and noted spots as high as No. 20 to Indiana. Ford said although that spot is highly unlikely, the Pacers have worked Uthoff out and really like his game.

The Los Angeles Clippers (who hold picks No. 25 and No. 33) have worked out Uthoff, as well as the Philadelphia 76ers (picks No. 24 and No. 26) and the San Antonio Spurs (pick No. 29).

If Uthoff lands in the first round, he will lock in a two-year guarantee with whatever team drafts him. If he falls into the second round, he could turn into a draft-and-stash guy who plays overseas, similar to what White did a year ago.

The Hawkeyes have not had a first-round draft pick since 1998, when Ricky Davis was selected No. 21 overall by the Charlotte Hornets.

Although it is unlikely Uthoff breaks that streak, all it would take is one NBA team to fall in love with his unique skill set and ability to score in bunches.

Consistency is one of the main concerns on Uthoff for most NBA teams along with his age (he’s already 23), but his skill set is undeniable.

He is almost as intriguing on the defensive end. According to DraftExpress, Uthoff is one of only eight college players to record 25 minutes per game and average over one steal and three blocks per 40-minutes pace adjusted. He was one of only two high major players to do it.

Uthoff also spent much of the year guarding on the perimeter, as he wasn’t a traditional power forward in a lineup where he technically was the four. He isn’t the quickest defender, but he makes up for it with his length and shot blocking savvy.

ESPN’s Chad Ford has said it would not surprise him if Uthoff went in the first round on Thursday, and mentioned spots as high as No. 20 to Indiana. Ford said although that spot is highly unlikely, the Pacers have worked Uthoff out and really like his game.

If Uthoff lands in the first round, he will lock in a two-year guarantee with whatever team drafts him. If he falls into the second round, he could turn into a draft-and-stash guy that plays overseas, similar to what White did a year ago.

The Hawkeyes have not had a first round draft pick since 1998 when Ricky Davis was selected No. 21 overall by the Charlotte Hornets.

before backing off of that commitment when a coaching change was made. After she reopened her recruitment, Iowa swooped in and added her to a top-10 recruiting class.

Iowa will go on the road this season to face Indiana, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, and Purdue.

Ohio State is another team that will be in the Big Ten title discussion; the Buckeyes will get one more year out of Kelsey Mitchell before she heads off to the WNBA.

Mitchell has been a first-team All-Big Ten selection her first two years on campus, as well as Big Ten Player of the Year honors her freshman year, in 2015. She was a first-team All-American this past season.

Iowa will travel to the state of Indiana twice to take on the Hoosiers and Boilermakers, and both of those games will be of the über-important variety.

Both teams finished ahead of the Hawkeyes in the Big Ten standings a year ago, and both teams split a pair of games with Iowa.

Although the full nonconference schedule has not been announced yet, the release of the Big Ten slate gives the team and the coaching staff something to ponder to during the off-season.