Trump not the person to lead

FILE – In this file photo, Donald Trump speaks to a crowd at the University of Iowa Field house on Tuesday Jan 26, 2016. (The Daily Iowan/Jordan Gale, file)

By Samuel Studer

Donald Trump has been in the spotlight for years. He just seemed like a cocky man with his name stamped on large buildings in major cities; I never thought that this man would run for president. When he jumped into the presidential race, he made outlandish claims. Trump called out Republicans for keeping voters on the hook for years by making claims that they cannot keep.

Trump also tried to use fear-mongering to his advantage. After attacks or situations that cause unease, voters tend to take more conservative positions on topics. This helps to gain votes that might have been on the other side of the spectrum. Trump talked about the fear of Mexicans and went up in the polls. He then talked about Muslims and the Paris attacks. Conservatives are seemingly more aware of the danger and threats in the world around them.

That brings us to the present of the Orlando, Florida, pain. Trump handled the situation horribly when he made the situation about himself. When he did make an attempt at being a leader, he sounded insincere. The Orlando attack was not just a terrorist attack. It could also be considered a hate crime toward the LGBTQ community. Americans have also taken on a new light that anything can happen anywhere.

These actions had a negative light on how America views Trump; he needs to handle situations like a leader. This situation is not about him. Americans need to come together to try to handle difficult situations. Along with that, the GOP would love to rid itself of Trump so it could have a candidate who is subtler and less outspoken. Yet, he does make some points that do make sense, such as our allies taking advantage of us with trade deals. His behavior causes serious doubt whether he could be a successful president.

Trump might be in the spotlight, but he does not deserve to be president. He gives America a bad name and a negative image. The rest of the world will base his actions on how they see America. He has to show that he is worthy to be president; he cannot try to use situations and minorities to try to get ahead.

Being president of the United States is not a joke. He must understand how to lead millions of Americans. Our thoughts of how people will react are outdated. America needs changes, but it is not Trump. America needs a leader who can handle changes and understand cultural differences.

Now that we are getting closer to election time, we must take a second and see who can change America. In the next four years, major issues will come up abroad and at home. We need a leader who can handle those issues with ease. Before you vote, take a second and decide who will understand hard situations. The Orlando shooting is a perfect example that Trump does not understand those situations.