Editorial: Gun control proposals fail

With the recent events in Orlando and the Supreme Court potentially weighing in on the issue of gun control, it might have appeared as though meaningful gun-control reform was on the horizon. However, the day we as a country see widespread legislative change to the current laws and restrictions on gun purchase and ownership seems to be a ways off; all four of the gun proposals in the Senate on Monday failed to advance.

The amendments came from a variety of senators, including one sponsored by Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, that would have bolstered the funding allocated for background checks as well as revisions to the language relevant to mental-health stipulations that prevent some from buying guns. Some bipartisan coordination could be seen with the proposals, with two of the four coming from Democrats and the other two from Republicans, but it would seem that even a shared party interest was not enough to overcome the staunch opposition to changes in gun-control legislation from powerful gun-control lobbyists, advocates, and individual supporters.

While all four of the proposals failed in the Senate, the margins of loss were not as large as some would have predicted. The two amendments offered by the Republicans both lost by single digits. The amendments coming from the Democrats lost by 16 and 13 votes, respectively. In a sense, it can almost be seen as a small victory that this many proposals would be made in the Senate and by members of both parties, even if none were successful. At the same time this display of opposition to relatively modest changes or support of background checks and preventive screening only demonstrates how difficult the path ahead to substantial gun-control reform will be,

If the most deadly mass shooting in American history proves not to be enough to turn the tide of gun-control legislation and the corresponding culture surrounding the issue, it is hard to imagine what possibly could. It is no secret that Americans love their guns and the right to own them. Although open to interpretation, the right was guaranteed in the Constitution. Even still, one would believe in the time following unprecedented bloodshed there would be some reluctance and perhaps a change of heart when it comes to the American people’s torrid love affair with firearms.

There is no consolation for the lives lost in Orlando, but one could have believed that at least some change would be made when it comes to gun-control policy that could have at least attempted to prevent a similar tragedy from occurring again. It would appear as though that will not be the case, however, and if history has taught us anything it is that it will only be a matter of time before the status quo quietly slides back into place. The momentum drawn from the Orlando shooting may not be enough to make us as a nation rethink our gun-control policies, and that is more disheartening than failure of four proposals on the Senate floor.