Studer: Pride Month: a reflection on changing times

FILE
FILE

Sam Studer

Pride Month is upon us, and we must look at the changes that have happened in the past year. It is very evident that the United States took huge strides in equal rights for the LGBTQ community. A little less than a year ago, same-sex marriage was legalized with the Supreme Case ruling in Obergerfell v. Hodges.

Communities and high schools across the country are nominating same-sex prom queens and queens. According to Advocate, Lindsey Creel and Brie Grimes became the first same-sex couple to reign at Leon High School in Tallahassee. This month, events all across the country have been held with crowd members wearing rainbow-colored clothing. Along with a president who has done more for the LGBTQ community than the other presidents put together, there is no debate that the LGBTQ community has been living with more freedom.

It is important that we continue to make strides in the right direction. Donald Trump could be the person to move the United States in the wrong direction. Trump has “traditional” views regarding the LGBTQ community, and he could appoint Supreme Court justices who would align with these rights. This is extremely important because there is still work left to do in other aspects of the United States.

Stories have been all over the news that small businesses tend to discriminate against the LGBTQ community. Community members also share stories of employers discriminating against LGBTQ couples. The shooting at the gay nightclub in Orlando left 49 people dead. This is not just one of the worst shootings in United States but also a deadly attack of anti-LGBTQ violence. Which is sad that this happened during Pride Month that originated from violence. This tragedy will help to start a fire for LGBTQ rights. LGBTQ members should not feel unsafe in going to clubs. This was not just a tragedy relating to terrorism but an attack on the LQBTQ community as a whole. Community members should not have to stop living because of recent acts. This just shows us there is a lot of work left to do.

We need a presidential candidate who can fight discrimination in all levels of government and all across the country. We should focus on trying to make life easier for all Americans, and nobody should have to feel uncomfortable for who they are. Americans also need to stand together in trying to create a better America. We need to understand differences and learn to embrace them, and we need to have children grow up in a world where diversity is not shut down but celebrated. This month is a mix of emotions because of the tragedy that happened in Orlando. This is not the time to stop fighting but to make a starting point for changes that need to happen. We need to come together in making changes. Use the rest of June in order to advocate for changes in the LGBTQ community.