Iowa City downtown gets some ‘inspiration’

By Jake Slobe

This week marks the eighth anniversary of the historic flood that devastated parts of Iowa City and the University of Iowa campus.

In June 2008, the flood caused $230 million in damage and cleanup costs to the university. One-sixth of the campus buildings closed, with 20 sustaining damage.

In celebration of several nearly completed flood-recovery projects, the Iowa City City Council voted June 6 to rename Clinton Street Inspiration Avenue for the 2016-17 school year.

In addition, street banners have been placed at several locations throughout Iowa City and Coralville, said Anne Bassett, the media-relations manager in the UI Office of Strategic Communication.

“There is no other campus in the nation and possibly the world that will experience this kind of rejuvenation at a single time,” Bassett said. “It’s a time to celebrate but also a time to reflect on the tremendous amount of work done by many people on campus and in the community.”

Around a month ago, the university contacted the city and proposed the temporary name change to help promote the university’s 2016-17 school-year theme, “Inspire,” said Simon Andrew, the assistant to the city manager.

“The theme was chosen with the goal of both celebrating the grand opening of these facilities and to highlight the cohesiveness and the diligence of the greater university to deliver on its promises,” Andrew said.

Some of the buildings nearing completion are the new Voxman Music Building, the Visual Arts Building, and the new Hancher, all of which will be open to the public this fall.

The new Voxman, located at the intersection of Clinton and Burlington Streets, just two blocks from the University Capitol Center, is set to open Oct. 21.

Nancy Bird, the executive director of the Iowa City Downtown District, said the location of the music facility will bring a huge boom to the vibrancy of downtown.

“We’re incredibly excited to have the Voxman Music Building open shortly,” she said. “I think it’s really brought a lot of excitement into the community. Having so many different music events throughout the course of the year is really going to infuse a lot of new energy into downtown.”

In May, university staff began moving into the new Visual Arts Building, next to Art Building West on Riverside Drive. The new state-of-the-art facility is at least 2 feet above the 500-year flood line; replacing the original Art Building, which was destroyed in the 2008 flood.

Joining the new Voxman and the Visual Arts Building, the new Hancher is also set to open in the fall, and the Hancher crew looks forward to having a strong opening season. Tickets for most performances became available for purchase June 10.