Hopeful Hawks seek NFL spots

Iowa tight end Henry Krieger-Coble falls on the grass during the Rose Bowl Game at Rose Bowl Stadium in Pasadena, California on Friday, Jan. 1, 2016. Stanford defeated Iowa, 45-16. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

The Daily Iowan takes a crack at figuring out which undrafted Hawkeye free agents will make the NFL rosters.

By Blake Dowson | [email protected]

After all of the success the Iowa football team experienced last season, it came as a surprise to some that only one Hawkeye, center Austin Blythe, was selected in the NFL draft.

Head coach Kirk Ferentz has seen at least one player from his roster drafted each season he has been at the helm, but that streak was in serious jeopardy until Blythe was selected in the final round, pick No. 248 of 253.

The Hawkeyes did have a number of undrafted players sign with teams after the draft, however, and some of them stand a good chance at making the final 53-man roster this fall.

Here is a look at those players and the chance they have of making an NFL roster.

Marshal Koehn, K, Miami Dolphins

Koehn has a really good leg, as evident by the 57-yarder he nailed against Pittsburgh that would have been good from about 65 yards. Consistency will be the key for him heading into training camp with Miami — Koehn missed more than one extra point in 2015 and a couple chip shots. That could pose a problem for Koehn in the NFL, because extra-points are tried from the 15-yard line.

It will be a surprise if Koehn wins the starting job for the Dolphins, making it unlikely he will make the team. One thing he has going for him is his athleticism, though, which could be intriguing for Miami special-team coordinator Darren Rizzi.

Jordan Lomax, S, Los Angeles Rams

The free safety is a big hitter and good tackler, and at one point he was thought to be a mid-round draft choice. Lomax does not test particularly well — he isn’t the fast guy nor is he very long. But he played numerous positions at Iowa and played them well.

Every NFL team needs players such as Lomax, and he may play a prominent role on special teams this year for the Rams because he has a knack for making plays.

Tevaun Smith, WR, Indianapolis Colts

Donte Moncrief, T.Y. Hilton, and Phillip Dorsett are locks to make the team, but there is open competition for the other two or three receiver spots.

It was somewhat surprising that Smith didn’t get drafted after his pro day. He ran a 4.38 40-yard dash and had a 38-inch vertical performing in front of representatives from all 32 NFL teams.

However, the Colts may not be the best fit for him. Hilton is the resident deep threat in Indianapolis, and at this point, that is what Smith would bring to a roster.

Henry Krieger-Coble, TE, Denver Broncos

At this point, Krieger-Coble making the Broncos’ roster seems close to a done deal. Ferentz raved about his tight end more than any other player last year, and Gary Kubiak and the Broncos seem to agree.

With Virgil Green and Jeff Heuerman nursing injuries, Krieger-Coble has been taking snaps with the first team. Also of note, he doesn’t have the disadvantage of being the new guy with an established quarterback, because the Broncos are transitioning from the Peyton Manning era.

Jordan Walsh, G,              Atlanta Falcons

Walsh is in a tough spot, joining an Atlanta offensive line that ranked fourth in the league last year. James Stone and Andy Levitre are both experienced guards who aren’t going anywhere.

As with most Iowa offensive linemen, though, Walsh will experience less of a learning curve than most rookies and will likely make a valuable practice squad player.

Adam Cox, FB, Atlanta Falcons

Cox is a bruiser, and he loves to block. There are certain college programs that still use and love those types of guys, Iowa being one of them.

Fullbacks are rarely used in the NFL, though, and the ones who stick are typically multitalented in the passing game as well. Cox caught only 1 pass in 2015 for 1 yard; he may find a job on Atlanta’s practice squad.

Jordan Canzeri, RB, Unsigned

The somewhat undersized running back got a tryout with Kansas City, but he didn’t stick. His injury-prone past probably scares NFL teams a bit — he hasn’t gone a whole year at full health.

Drew Ott, DE, Unsigned

Still working on rehabbing his knee, Ott is yet to sign with a team. It is yet to be determined if the talented lineman will come back 100 percent from the injury, and that may be why he remains unsigned.

If he does come back healthy, Ott could work his way into a rotation at defensive end.

Follow @BRDowson on Twitter for Iowa football team news, updates, and analysis.