Ex-Hawk Steiner takes Fresno State reins

A Carver-Hawkeye security member watches the crowd during the Big Ten Wrestling Championships at Carver-Hawkeye on Sunday, March 6, 2015. This is the 102nd year of the series. (The Daily Iowan/Brooklynn Kascel)

By Jordan Hansen

Another former Iowa wrestler has a Division-1 wrestling job.

Troy Steiner has decided to help resuscitate the Fresno State wrestling team, according to various media outlets.

The Bulldog program was cut in 2006 because of budget pressure. Fresno State recently announced it would bring back the program, which now has a coach.

“Today marks an exciting day for Fresno State and the wrestling community,” Fresno State President Joseph Castro said in a release. “The pride and support for Bulldog wrestling is inspiring. In our Central Valley, which is well-known as a wrestling hotbed, we’re pleased to reintroduce the nation to Fresno State wrestling.”

Steiner starred at Iowa in the early 1990s and was the 1992 national champion. He compiled a 148-13 record during his Hawkeye career and was part of three team NCAA titles.

He has spent the last 10 seasons at Oregon State and seemed ripe for a head-coach position. His brother, Terry Steiner, is the USA women’s freestyle head coach and was also an accomplished wrestler at Iowa.

“Today is truly a special day nationally for the sport of wrestling and here for the fans in the Valley who deeply love this sport,” Fresno State Athletics Director Jim Bartko said in a release. “Being able to find a head coach with the integrity, spirit, and knowledge that Troy brings to Fresno State is invaluable not only for restarting the program but also for bringing great student-athletes to campus to compete.”

Steiner will have a huge task ahead of him. Slated to begin competition during the 2017-18 season, building a program from the ground up will be incredibly difficult.

The goal is to bring it back as a Division-1 sport, and while Fresno State does lie in one of wrestling’s recruiting hot beds, it still will take some time to get the team competitive once again.

However, any growth in wrestling is good for the sport, and Iowa’s influence continues to pervade the sport.

“I want to thank President Joseph Castro, Director of Athletics Jim Bartko, and Associate AD John Kriebs for having the courage to reinstate the wrestling program here at Fresno State,” Steiner said in release.