Hawk hoops to face Seton Hall 

Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery yells at the team during a timeout in the game against Minnesota at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Thursday, Feb. 12, 2015 in Iowa City, Iowa. The Gophers defeated the Hawkeyes, 64-59. (The Daily Iowan/Joshua Housing)

Another piece of the 2016-17 Iowa basketball schedule has fallen into place.

The Hawkeyes will play Seton Hall in the Gavitt Tipoff Games, an event that includes eight games during the first full week of the season. The Pirates will come to Carver-Hawkeye on Nov. 17.

“The Gavitt Games is a special event that helps spark college basketball interest in early November,” Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery said. “Games of this magnitude are helpful in a number of ways, and we’re excited to be included in the event again this year. We played a very good Marquette team on the road last year in this event and look forward to hosting a talented Seton Hall team in November.”

Seton Hall made the NCAA Tournament last season and won the Big East Tournament. The team lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament to Gonzaga.

It will be just the second meeting between the two schools; Iowa beat Seton Hall, 85-63. on Dec. 29, 1982, in the Rochester Classic.

The game will be televised on either the Big Ten Network or an ESPN channel.

Maryland, Wisconsin, Purdue, Northwestern, Ohio State, Rutgers, and Minnesota were the other Big Ten schools invited to participate in the event.

by Jordan Hansen