Michigan ends men’s tennis season

Iowa tennis player Robin Haden practices on the outdoor Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation courts on Wednesday, Sept. 2, 2015. Haden transferred from Mississippi. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

By Nicholas Moreano | [email protected]

The No. 73 Iowa men’s tennis team began the Big Ten Tournament with a 4-1 win against No. 58 Indiana on April 28, but its tournament run and season ended against No. 24 Michigan on April 29.

Indiana had defeated the Hawkeyes 4-0 on its home court earlier this season, but this time in Minneapolis, the Hawkeyes came out on top. The Hawkeyes were seeded No. 12 in the tournament, Indiana No. 5.

The match started with the Hawkeyes winning the doubles point. First sophomores Josh Silverstein and Lefteris Theodorou defeated Indiana’s Sam Monette and Daniel Bednarczyk (6-2). But Indiana’s Chris Essick and Stefan Lugonjic defeated sophomore Jake Jacoby and freshman Jonas Larsen (6-3).

It came down to junior Nils Hallestrand and senior Dominic Patrick to win the doubles point, and the two upperclassmen delivered, defeating Raheel Manji and Afonso Salgado (7-5).

The Hawkeyes finished off Indiana in singles competition starting with Theodorou defeating Manji (6-2, 6-3). Hoosier Antonio Cembellin beat Larsen (7-5, 7-5), then Robin Haden defeated Bednarczyk (6-4, 7-5). It came down to Patrick, who won in three sets over Salgado (4-6, 6-4, 6-2).

The win over Salgado gave Patrick his 63rd career win, moving him into 10th place all-time in singles victories for the Hawkeyes.

Jacoby was honored after his match went unfinished against Matthew McCoy, being named the team’s Big Ten Sportsmanship award winner.

With Iowa defeating Indiana, this was the first time a No. 12 seed upset a No. 5 seed since the conference expanded to 12 teams in 2012.

The Hawkeyes had lost to Michigan on their final road matchup of the season on April 22, 4-0.

It was much the same outcome for the Hawkeyes in the Big Ten Tournament.

Michigan started off the matchup by winning the doubles point. Michigan’s Jathan Malik and Kevin Wong defeated Jacoby and Larsen 6-3 and then Lubomir Cuba and Gabe Tishman defeated Hallestrand and Patrick (6-2).

After the Wolverines won the doubles point, they didn’t look back in singles competition. Silverstein was the only Hawkeye who won a match, defeating Alex Knight (6-2, 6-2).

Michigan’s Carter Lin defeated Haden (6,2 6-0), then Runhao Hua defeated Jacoby (6-0, 6-2), and Davis Crocker took down Patrick (6-1, 6-4) to eliminate the Hawkeyes from the tournament.

The Hawkeyes ended the season with a 12-17 record. They will try to improve their play in the conference next season, with only two of their 12 wins this season over Big Ten opponents.

Despite the Hawkeyes’ record in the conference the team has made it to the Big Ten Tournament quarterfinals each of its past two seasons. It’s something the team can look to as a positive heading into next season.