Marshall: Today, we celebrate Phil’s Day

Tom Jorgensen
The University of Iowa Campus looking west from Old Capitol and the Pentacrest.

As president and CEO of the University of Iowa Foundation, I have the privilege of helping connect UI alumni and friends with their passions — assisting them as they provide philanthropic support for the UI programs and people they find most promising, meaningful, and inspiring. And when inspired donors make their gifts, they’re helping to ensure a brighter future for all of us.

OPS-—-Lynette-Marshall-624x935
Lynette Marshall (File)

That’s why, every year, we dedicate a day to celebrating philanthropy on campus. It’s important to recognize gifts — of all sizes — and the collective effect that all of our donors have on our beloved university. Today, on our fifth-annual Phil’s Day, I hope you will join us in celebrating the power of giving.

As you move through campus, you’ll notice that many buildings are tagged in black and gold. This is our way of making philanthropy highly visible to everyone today. If you see the “Phil Was Here” tag anywhere on campus, it means that private gifts have made a significant difference in that place, whether they helped build that facility or supported the people and programs housed within.

I am especially looking forward to our annual “Life With Phil” talk. This year we are delighted that P. Sue Beckwith will be here on campus to share her philanthropy story at 10 a.m. in the Old Capitol Senate Chamber.

Beckwith is a three-time UI graduate, as well as a letterwinner in basketball, and she is a passionate supporter of our campus. In 2010, she became the first woman to have a UI building named in honor of her philanthropy when she made a visionary leadership gift for the P. Sue Beckwith Boathouse. She also has established three student scholarships — the Christine H.B. Grant Scholarship Fund, the P. Sue Beckwith Rowing Scholarship Fund, and the P. Sue Beckwith Women’s Basketball Scholarship Fund — to help make college more affordable for deserving students.

I am honored that Beckwith has agreed to share her philanthropy story, and I hope you’ll join me in celebrating all things Phil.

Lynette Marshall
President and CEO
UI Foundation