Finer: Philanthropy’s effect goes beyond scholarships

Sergio Flores
The sun rises behind the Old Capitol in Iowa City on Friday, April 10, 2015. (The Daily Iowan/Sergio Flores)

The first time I understood the true effect of private support at the University of Iowa was Phil’s Day 2014, during my first year in the University of Iowa Foundation’s Student Philanthropy Group. Today is the foundation’s fifth-annual Phil’s Day celebration, and philanthropy has never meant more to the UI — or to

Alexis Finer (Courtesy UI Foundation)
Alexis Finer (Courtesy UI Foundation)

me personally — than it does today.

Unless students have a philanthropically funded scholarship or some other personal connection with a donor, it can be difficult for them to understand the importance of philanthropy in the educational experience at a public university. Phil’s Day has been so successful in bringing our students, faculty, staff, and alumni together because it shows the effect of philanthropy on our campus, in a way that we can all see and understand.

Upon arrival at the UI, I was immediately aware of the importance of private support because I was really fortunate to receive assistance from scholarships. I received the Albert and Mildred Lindsay Scholarship, and my Iowa Scholars Award was funded by UI alumni Dale and Linda Baker. Additionally, the Old Gold Scholarship is funded by the collective gifts of many private contributors. I cannot thank these generous donors enough for supporting my education and introducing me to philanthropy early in my career.

Besides providing student scholarships, gifts from alumni and friends also touch all areas and departments on campus — whether they support your college or program, the buildings you study in, or your favorite professor. As a member of the Student Philanthropy Group, I’ve enjoyed the opportunity to talk with amazing donors who are passionate about, and invested in, our university. While each one is enthusiastic about her or his specific area of interest, they all are generally proud to make philanthropic support for the university a large part of their lives. Their strong belief in the future of this institution, and their commitment to the power of philanthropy, is contagious.

I am so grateful for the opportunities I’ve been given at Iowa — and through my work with the Student Philanthropy Group — and I look forward to following the example of these donors by giving back to the UI when I’m a graduate.

Phil’s Day was established to recognize and thank our university’s supporters — and to shine a light on the effect of their gifts. Tagging buildings that are supported by private funding not only shows students the value of support beyond scholarships, it also shows our university community how we got to where we are today. It’s proof that, with ongoing support from devoted Iowa alumni and friends, our success will continue to grow in the future.

Alexis Finer
President, UI Foundation Student Philanthropy Group
Class of 2017, Human Physiology and Psychology