Ramos headed to coach at North Carolina

Men’s freestyle 57 kg Dan Dennis gets his hand raised after beating fellow Iowa alumn Tony Ramos during the campionship round of the Olympic wrestling trials in Carver Hawkeye on Sunday, April 10, 2016. Dennis defeated Ramos in two straight matches to represent the USA in Rio this summer. (The Daily Iowan/Anthony Vazquez)

Former Iowa national champion Tony Ramos is headed to the University of North Carolina as an assistant coach.

Earlier this month, during the April 9-10 Olympic Trials, Ramos announced his intentions to leave the Hawkeye Wrestling Club and find somewhere else to wrestle and train for the Olympic and World teams. His decision came after a loss to fellow Hawkeye Wrestling Club member Daniel Dennis in the 57 kg finals.

Dennis is headed to the Olympics, while Ramos was left searching for answers.

It seems he’s found some, at least for now, as he will work under Tarheel head coach Coleman Scott, the 2008 national champion at 133 pounds while at Oklahoma State. Ramos won the 2014 NCAA championship at the same weight.

Interestingly enough, Ramos and Coleman wrestled each other at the Olympic Trials, with the former Iowa wrestler winning 4-4 on criteria.

Ramos made his decision public on Wednesday through a tweet and a blog post, which were quite a bit different than the harsh comments he made about Tom Brands and other coaches in the Iowa wrestling program after his Olympic Trials loss.