No discipline in fraternity formal fall

Rainy Tuesday on the University of Iowa campus. Old Capital on October 14th, 2014.(DailyIowan/AnnaKilzer)

By DI Staff

The University of Iowa Chapter of the Delta Chi fraternity is currently not on disciplinary status with the UI or the Interfraternity Council after two students fell from a two-story balcony while attending the fraternity’s formal over the weekend, UI spokesperson Anne Bassett said Tuesday.

The two students identified as Hannah Van Soelen and Mackenzie Wollenzien were then taken to the Lake Regional Hospital. Their conditions are still unclear; members of their sororities, Kappa Kappa Gamma and Delta Gamma, have declined to comment.

Justin Sherman, the national executive director for the Delta Chi fraternity, said in a statement that the international headquarters has been made aware of the “unfortunate incident.”

“We extend our deepest sympathy and condolences to the individuals involved and their family and friends,” he said.

Sherman said in the release that the staff will “conduct a thorough review of the situation and also work in coordination with the university’s administration throughout the process.”

Jeremy Gorham, the owner of the rental house in which the formal was held, said the women were sitting on the railing and fell over backwards. The railings they were sitting on, Gorham said, are 39 inches tall. The state requires that they be 36 inches tall. He also confirmed the rental was by the Delta Chi fraternity.