Mallett hurdles into history 

Iowa runner Aaron Mallett pushes to the finish line in the men’s 110 meter hurdles at the Iowa Musco Invitational in Iowa City on Saturday, May 3. Mallett placed first in the event. (The Daily Iowan/Rachael Westergard)

By Adam Hensley

This past weekend at the Musco Twilight track meet, Hawkeye Aaron Mallett added to his growing streak in the 110-meter hurdles.

The junior from St. Louis won his third-straight 110-meter-hurdle title at Musco.

Mallett finished in 13.50 seconds, the best time in meet history.

“Winning at Musco is a lot of fun, just having some type of tradition going,” he said. “I broke the meet record last year, then I broke it again this weekend. It’s just a lot of fun.”

Not only did the streak of home wins continue, but Mallett’s time kept him atop the Big Ten and third in the nation.

“It was a good because he’s a guy who expects to run 13.50 or faster every race, so for him to come out now and run that time going into Drake, I think that builds a lot of his confidence,” Iowa Director of Track and Field Joey Woody said. “I’m looking forward for him to put up a good performance at Drake.”

While the temperature was nice on April 23, Mallett had to worry about the elements. His momentum-building time occurred despite windy conditions.

“The only thing I could say is that I wish I had less wind,” Mallett said. “A lot of people wish for more wind, but in the hurdles, it’s kind of a fine line with too much wind or not enough.”

Wind or no wind, Mallett has blown past the competition all season long, indoors and outdoors.

“I just really implement[ed] my race strategies I practice every day,” he said. “I know I get to the meet some times and I kind of let stuff get away from me. This time, I really feel like I executed a good race, and the time shows.”

That time also reflects his work ethic, which was praised by his coach.

“He’s going to give it his all every time he shows up to the track,” Woody said. “He’s a focused guy and expects to win every time he steps to the line. Sometimes, that’s half the battle.”

That poised confidence was a factor in the three-straight wins at home.

It is fitting that this streak continues at home, rather than at an away meet, and in front of some special fans.

“Musco’s race was beautiful,” Mallett said. “Doing [the race] in front of the crowd was a lot of fun. You get to throw some shirts and keep a shirt. My family usually comes up for Musco.”

Moving on from this home streak, Mallett hopes to begin a new streak and do something he’s never done before.

“I want to win a Drake Relays flag,” he said. “I’ve been in Iowa long enough to know that it’s a huge deal, the meet and winning a flag.”

Mallett and his teammates will head to Des Moines for one of the biggest sporting events in the state. Competition at the Relays will start on Thursday and continue through Saturday.