Dance Marathon taught me about Phil

UI students cheer during the opening ceremony of the 22nd Dance Marathon in the Iowa Memorial Union on Friday, Feb. 5, 2016. There are over 220 families in attendance this year. (The Daily Iowan/Valerie Burke)

Throughout my four years at the University of Iowa, I have received an incredible education and met many of my best friends. Even more important, I have learned the significance of philanthropy (or Phil, as we call it on campus). This past year, I have had the privilege of serving as the 22nd executive director of University of Iowa Dance Marathon and leading an incredible group of students in raising more than $2.4 million — all For The Kids. It has been tremendously rewarding to be a part of an organization that provides support for children with cancer and their families — and to involve so many students in fundraising for this worthy cause.

I have been fortunate that cancer has not yet directly affected my family or me, and before coming to Iowa, I truly did not even know the meaning of philanthropy. That changed immediately when I joined Dance Marathon as a freshman. My passion for philanthropy was inspired by the thousands of Iowa students and community members who come together each year to support pediatric cancer patients — and it deepened when I heard the stories of what kids fighting cancer go through on a daily basis. Dance Marathon not only is a large, student-run organization that raises millions of dollars each year for a great cause, but it’s also a giant family comprising students, donors from all over the world, community members and partners, doctors and hospital staff, and most importantly our kiddos and families treated at UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital. There’s one goal that brings everyone in this family together: to provide the greatest amount of support to our Dance Marathon families and to, one day, defeat pediatric cancer. 

Additionally, Dance Marathon has taught me about professionalism, leadership, the importance of philanthropy in our lives, and the positive effects every person can make on someone else. Even though I can confidently say that we have made a huge difference for so many kids battling cancer, the effect that these kids have personally had on me — through their fight, positivity, and happiness (despite terrible circumstances) — is far greater than anything I have ever done.

Twenty-two years ago, a group of crazy college students came together to form this incredible organization, which now has raised more than $19 million For the Kids throughout its history. I am so thankful to have had the opportunity to be a part of such an inspiring organization — as well as a university that puts a priority on being Phil. 

Philanthropy is everywhere on campus, and so many students, including me, will graduate knowing the importance of giving back to the university, the Iowa City community, and countless others. Thank you, Phil, for being part of my life. 

Dan Kolb

Class of 2016

Executive Director, Dance Marathon 22