Golfer heads to regional

Iowa golfer Amy Ihm prepares to drive during media day at Finkbine on Tuesday, Aug. 25, 2015. Ihm is one of two seniors on the team. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

Iowa senior Amy Ihm has been selected to compete as an individual golfer in this season’s NCAA regional competition on May 5-7.

“I am so excited,” said Hawkeye women’s golf head coach Megan Menzel in a release. “It has been a very exciting end to the season, and Amy has put together an awesome senior campaign. It not only means a lot to her but to our program as well. She is playing great golf right now, and she needs to go to Texas knowing she can make it to the next step, too.”
Ihm will be just the second Iowa golfer to be selected to compete in postseason play in program history; Stacey Arnold went to the NCAA Championships in 1990.

The senior from Peosta, Iowa, will try to keep her momentum rolling after having an impressive performance at the Big Ten Championships, in which she carded 41 bogey-free holes to close the tournament. Her performance in the tournament earned her a spot on the All-Big Ten Championship Team.

“I came into this program as a walk-on, so I was really far behind, and I knew that,” Ihm said in a release. “I knew that it was going to take a lot of hard work, but I think I’ve just put in enough hours to get me to where I am today.”
Ihm will have almost two weeks to prepare until she heads to Bryan, Texas, for the regional.
If she does well, Ihm will advance to the May 20-25 NCAA Championships in Eugene, Oregon.

— by Ricardo Ascencio