Thank Phil Now, Be Phil Later

Bruce Harreld talks with reporters in The Daily Iowan conference room about his upcoming term as the next president of the University of Iowa. Upon his acceptance, Harreld had an approval rating of three percent. (The Daily Iowan/Brooklynn Kascel)

Since I became the University of Iowa president, I have been amazed by the generosity of our community. Students, faculty, staff, friends, and alumni are eager to share their time, talent, or treasure — and often all three — in order to make our beloved university the best it can be. That is what the spirit of philanthropy and this fifth-annual Phil’s Day are all about: reaching into our personal resources, whatever they may be, and sharing them generously to make what we care about better and better.

I continue to discover ways that, here at Iowa, we owe much of our excellence to philanthropy (Phil). I might be stunned by an incredible space such as the Main Library Learning Commons, and then I learn that private support was critical to creating this state-of-the-art educational hub. I might be astonished at the leading-edge research happening in a laboratory I’m visiting, and then I am reminded that the lead professor has been honored with a named chair made possible by a generous donor’s philanthropy — as was much of the lab equipment. I might be talking with a student and be impressed by her intellect, imagination, and civic spirit, and then I find out that she is attending the UI on a scholarship created by an alumna who has given back to her alma mater so other young people can benefit from the amazing educational opportunities we provide.

I’ve learned that Phil is everywhere on campus, and on Phil’s Day, we set aside time to celebrate and thank those who have helped make our UI experience the best it can be through their generosity. It’s also a day to reflect on the importance of philanthropy in your own personal lives.

Students, as you finish your UI studies and go on to get a job or further your education — and become an active community member — we want you to remember how much philanthropy has played a part in shaping your success here at Iowa. We also hope that you turn that reflection into action and that you not only remember the benefits of philanthropy but also participate in the world of Phil. In my coming years as president, I hope your own philanthropy will contribute to the amazement that I continue to feel as I look at what we are able to achieve at the UI. So on Phil’s Day, let’s all stop for a moment to thank Phil.

J. Bruce Harreld

President

University of Iowa