Letters to the editor

Celebrating COGS after 20 years of service

As former officers, organizers, and rank-and-file members of UE Local 896-COGS, we were thrilled and proud this weekend to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the contract that first won graduate-student employees health insurance, guaranteed salary increases, and the right to have a say in the terms of their employment.

Graduate teaching assistants then and now provide the bulk of the undergraduate instruction at the UI, but their work has not always been recognized as such. Prior to COGS, graduate-student employees had no health insurance, no tuition waivers, and no grievance procedures for resolving employment-related problems. COGS changed all that.

What started as a local Campaign to Organize Graduate Students found a union home with the United Electrical, Radio, and Machine Workers (UE), an independent, historically progressive, democratic, worker-led union with roots going back to the 1930s. Through our affiliation with UE, its nationwide membership, and experienced staff, we gained organizing expertise and a sense of solidarity with workers everywhere, as we learned that workplace issues are not so different from the classroom to the factory floor.

UE-COGS members have gone on to successful careers both in and out of academia and the labor movement, and we have carried the lessons we learned there into the rest of our lives.

As the UI faces anew the threats of budget shortfalls and an administration that wants to “spread the peanut butter” even more unevenly across campus, the need to organize and fight back remains. There is power in a union, and we believe in the power of UE-COGS to make clear yet again that the UI works because we do.

Signed,

Laura Crossett, M.F.A. Nonfiction Writing 2003, Nat Godley, Ph.D. History 2006, Mike Innis-Jiménez, Ph.D. History 2006, Heather Miyano Kopelson, Ph.D. History 2008, Kathleen Lyons, M.A. English 2003 ,Michael Marchman, M.A. Geography 2003, John W. McKerley, Ph.D. History 2008, Josh Pederson, Ph.D. Communication Studies 2014, Julie Schmid, Ph.D. English 2000

Sexual Assault Awareness Month

April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month. This year’s campaign focuses on ways that individuals, communities, and the private sector can help prevent sexual violence. One in 5 women and 1 in 33 men are victims of sexual assault, but all of us are affected by sexual violence.

Everyone understands that sexual violence affects victims and their families, but the effects of this violent crime on communities and society are less obvious. Sexual violence creates a climate of fear, anger, and/or disbelief in the workplaces, campuses, and communities that it occurs in. Additionally, sexual violence generates criminal justice, medical, and crisis and mental-health service expenses. Perhaps most damaging are the lost contributions of survivors.

Preventing such a far-reaching and prevalent social issue as sexual violence may seem overwhelming or even impossible. The mentality that implies there isn’t a solution — or if there is, we can’t achieve it — but we can, and we are. There are many practical steps that are being taken in our homes, neighborhoods, schools, faith communities, and workplaces. But there are many more things we can do to promote safety, respect, and accountability.

Prevention starts with challenging victim-blaming and believing survivors. Individuals can model supportive relationships and behaviors, call out harmful attitudes, and challenge the societal acceptance of rape. Communities and businesses can take action to implement policies that promote safety, respect, and equality. You can learn more at www.nsvrc.org/saam.

Natalie Halverson, Hawkeye alumna