Not shy, Rihanna amazes crowd in Chi

(Via Twitter @rihanna)

Rihanna brought the ANTI world tour to her friends in Chicago.

By Mario Williams

As the credits rolled through everyone involved in the “ANTI World Tour” and the instrumental version of Rihanna’s “Higher” played, I listened and observed the fans in my section discuss Bad Gal Riri’s sold-out show at the United Center in Chicago on April 15.

“She can really sing”; “I didn’t expect Rihanna to do that”; “She did all the songs I love.”

Rihanna is a performer you think you’d want to hangout with. She makes you feel warm, welcomed, and ready to party. No fans were sitting during her show; when Rihanna wants you engaged, you’re locked in forever.

I don’t think I’ve ever been to a show in which an artist talked to the crowd more than Rihanna did. She didn’t talk like a rich stuck-up star, she engaged with her fans like we’re her friends, like regular people.

After racing through a few hits, the band stopped, and Rihanna first spoke before going on to perform “Desperado.” She told us, “I expected Chicago to be outrageous, but what the f–k.” She was taken aback by the love and energy thousands of people in the United Center showed her. Watching her soak in that moment was amazing.

She even took the time to thank her dancers, band, background singers, and tour production crew during the show — especially the crew running the spotlights from the top of the arena. At other shows I’ve been to it’s all about the music, and stars just roll through songs without showing love to the audience.

RiRi made her show personable. Her crowd interaction was a sight to see.

It was very fitting for the star to name her tour the “ANTI World Tour”; there were a lot of “anti” moments. Rihanna didn’t enter onto her main stage. Instead she walked from the back of the arena onto a second stage on top of the arena’s soundboard. She strutted through effortlessly, singing her hit-ballad “Stay” in thigh-high boots and a white hoodie, almost seeming like Casper the Ghost.

Moments later, a transparent bridge was lowered to fly her to her pure white main stage. She performed ANTI’s “Woo” and “Sex with Me” on the bridge, keeping fans on the floor-level amazed, gazing up at the gracious woman.

She told the crowd, “Y’all ready. I’ve been waiting on Chicago.”

Little did fans know, once she hit the main stage it was game over. Four outfit changes and the hits kept rolling, especially her old ones — “Pour It Up,” “Umbrella,” “Live your life,” “Run This Town,” “We Found Love,” “Rude Boy,” “Where Have You Been,” and “Bitch Better Have My Money.”

Rihanna drew all eyes to her. Aside from her being amazing to stare at, the production of her tour was exquisite. The all-white stage, the all-white instruments, and the band dressed in all white was perfect.

For the last act of the show, it was just Rihanna. Standing alone in an oversized brown suit and sunglasses, she showed fans – and maybe haters — her vocal ability. She walked out to the sassy beat and lyrics of “Needed Me” that went into “Same Ol’ Mistakes,” “Diamonds,” “Four Five Seconds,” “Love on the Brain,” and “Kiss It Better.”

The guitar of “Kiss It Better” went on, and Riri moved from side to side on the stage, waving her hands and kissing us all goodbye. It was like saying goodbye to a friend you won’t see for a while. A precious moment I’ll never forget.