Drinks of the week

Coconut Creek

Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 1.25.21 AMSimple, light, and frothy. Perfect to just chill and listen to one of the several bands playing across the city for Mission Creek Festival. The Mill’s Coconut Creek off their Mission Creek Festival menu is the perfect mix to relax and kick off the weekend of events.

Effen Cucumber vodka, coconut juice, lime juice, and ginger beer are mixed together and poured over ice. The flavored create a perfect balance of cucumber and coconut, with one not overpowering the other. It made me feel like I was back on a beach relaxing for spring break (you know, if I went to a beach for spring break).

This drink is far from heavy. Add a lime to garnish, though this drink is pretty perfect on its own. It’s the best way to start one of Iowa City’s most renowned week of the spring.
— by Rebecca Morin

An Effen Vodka CranberryScreen Shot 2016-04-07 at 4.36.29 PM

With the first sip of this cocktail, I felt as if I got punched in the face — but in the best way possible. The Mill’s An Effen Vodka Cranberry, which is part of the restaurant’s Mission Creek Festival special drink menu, is tart and sweet and will get your night rolling.

Effen vodka, basil simple syrup, cranberry juice, and lime juice are all mixed together, along with two slices of lime crushed at the bottom of the glass. Not going to lie, I definitely had a preconceived stereotype of this drink, thinking it would be like any other fruity vodka cranberry. But I was definitely wrong. The drink was surprisingly tart and felt like it matched my personality — slightly nice but also a little bitter. It’s something that will wake you up as you move from venue to venue this weekend.

The Mill’s special cocktails don’t need much to add; they are simple and classic. Maybe just pace yourself because I’m feeling a little too good, but it could have been that it was my second cocktail in an hour.

— by Rebecca Morin

CHERRY SIBERIAN
Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 4.37.12 PMWith foam pillowing over the melting ice cubes, The Mill’s Cherry Siberian for Mission Creek Festival looks like a boring old cappuccino. One sip in, though, and I knew it was anything but.

Effen Black Cherry Vodka, kahlua, heavy cream, and Dr. Pepper make up this drink. The kahlua hit my nose before the drink hit my lips. It’s a fairly basic drink, the kahlua dominating, but definitely worth getting before it’s off the menu.

The drink’s on the heavy side, so I suggest sipping. If you’re trying to pace yourself — maybe to make sure you make it to all those shows — this is ideal.
— by Justus Flair

JIM’S OLD ORCHARDScreen Shot 2016-04-07 at 4.36.49 PM
What could go wrong with the Mill’s Jim Bean filled, Mission Creek inspired rendition on the classic Old Fashioned?

Right away there is an aroma of orange that seems to be no longer present when you actually taste the drink. Apple and cinnamon dominate the taste buds. I’ve never been to an apple orchard, but if I were to ever be invited to a raging party on a summer night at one, I hope there would be an open bar serving this drink all night long.

This drink is for the Fire Ball downing, Angry Orchard lover that really wants to class it up at a Thursday dinner party. The Kentucky Fire Bourbon becomes more apparent around the halfway mark. With that being said, you could probably have another one or two before making any Jim Bean fueled mistakes.

— by Jordan Gale