Baseball will try Panther hunting again

By Jake Mosbach

The Hawkeye baseball team will return to Banks Field this evening, hosting Wisconsin-Milwaukee in a midweek contest.

The game was originally scheduled for Tuesday; however, inclement weather forced the postponement. The Panthers come to Iowa City with an 11-12 overall record. Ahead of tonight’s game, here’s a statistical breakdown of the 18th matchup between the Hawkeyes and Panthers.

Milwaukee team batting average: .264

The number might not seem significant, but it’s well below its opponents’ average of .273. And it’s certainly not for a lack of offensive stars. Junior outfielder Luke Meeteer leads the team, hitting .396. Meeteer has started all 23 games for the Panthers and is second on the team in total bases.

But besides Meeteer, the Panthers have only two others hitting at or above the .300 benchmark. The team doesn’t boast a ton of power. The Hawks will send freshman right-hander Shane Ritter out to the mound for today’s contest in an attempt to shut down Milwaukee. Ritter enters the contest with a 0.00 ERA in 5.2 innings of work.

Iowa home record: 5-1

For the most part, the Hawkeyes have done a great job of defending the home turf. The only loss came courtesy of Maryland on March 27. While the record might be a little deceiving (the Terrapins are the only real threat to visit Iowa City this season), wins are wins.

On the other side, the Panthers come to Iowa City with a 9-8 road record, a respectable mark. The team has held its own when playing in enemy territory, so it’s crucial that head coach Rick Heller’s Hawkeyes don’t overlook Milwaukee.

Milwaukee starter Austin Schulfer ERA: 14.49

The Panthers will counter Iowa’s Shane Ritter with sophomore righty Austin Schulfer. The 6-1, 150-pound youngster has seen his share of struggles in his second year with the team, and that could be putting it lightly. Schulfer has yet to earn a win for the Panthers this season, entering the game with a 0-2 record.

Shulfer’s sky-high ERA comes in 13.2 innings of work, allowing 26 hits and 27 runs. Opponents are hitting a whopping .400 against Schulfer. That said, the Hawkeye offensive giants Nick Roscetti, Joel Booker, and Robert Neustrom have the opportunity to jump on Schulfer early and improve their already impressive numbers in 2016.

Milwaukee all-time record vs. Iowa: 10-7

Surprisingly, the relatively unknown school has a winning record when it comes to the Hawkeyes. In 17 previous meetings the Panthers have emerged victoriously 10 times. The most recent meeting between the two teams came last season, with the Panthers coming away with a 4-3 victory.

The Hawks will try to get back on the winning track against the Panthers today. First pitch is set for 5:05 p.m.

Follow @RealJakeMosbach on Twitter for Iowa baseball news, updates, and analysis.