Iowa falls to Purdue in first game of weekend series

By: Mario Williams

Iowa had a chance to do major damage in the bottom of third inning, but couldn’t fully execute and fell to Purdue, 6-4.

In the bottom of the third Iowa had two large opportunities to score when the game was tied 1-1. The Hawks had two hits, and faced the Boilermakers twice with a player on bat, and two players on base. However Purdue’s Lilly Fecho had no problem making sure the Hawks would not takeover the scoreboard.

“It was exciting,” Iowa head coach Marla Looper said. “But unfortunately, we didn’t capitalize on that and that point we just needed to hold them defensively and give ourselves back that position. We struggled doing that till the very last inning.”

After following another great inning in the top of the fourth, it seemed as if Iowa felt confident and would continue to push. The Hawks got two easy outs at second that got the crowd eager.

That wasn’t the case as Iowa didn’t manufacture anymore runs until the bottom of the seventh.

Purdue scored five runs in the top of the seventh, which sealed the deal for a victory. But, in the bottom Iowa kept fighting, scoring three runs to make a potential comeback.

“It was a great value at the end with our girls,” Looper said. “Just wish we hadn’t got to that point with giving them that big top of the seventh inning to make it harder to come back.”