Trussov earns All-American hornors as men’s swimmers finish 40th

Jerz Twarowski of Iowa races during the third heat of the men’s 200 fly on Sunday, Dec. 6, 2015. in the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center. Twarowski finished first with a time of 1:17.04. Iowa won the invitational for the second year in a row. (The Daily Iowan/Brooklynn Kascel)

After sending five athletes and five events to the NCAA Championships in Atlanta March 23-26, the Hawkeyes will return to Iowa City with a 40th-place finish.

The quartet of senior Roman Trussov, freshman Kenneth Mende, sophomore Jerzy Twarowski, and freshman Jack Smith started the meet for the Hawkeyes with a 21st-place finish in the 400-medley relay in a time of 3:10.06. The group had the 14th-fastest time going into the race.

Trussov earned honorable-mention All-American honors on March 25 when he placed 15th in the “B” final of the 100-breaststroke in a time of 53.17.

It was the first All-American honor of Trussov’s career and marked the fourth time in the past five years the Hawkeyes have had a swimmer crowned an All-American.

The same quartet that competed in the 400-medley also swam the 200-medley relay, taking 20th in a time of 1:26.50.

On March 26, Trussov earn his second-honorable mention All-American nod, placing 13th in the “B” final of the 200-breaststroke in 1:55.24. Trussov is the first Hawkeye swimmer since 2013 to be crowned an All-American in more than one event at the NCAA Championships.

Senior Addison Boschult was the lone diver for Iowa at the meet. Boschult, who was an honorable-mention All-American a year ago on the platform, fell just shy of the mark at this year’s NCAAs, finishing 18th with a score of 356.65, 2 points shy of 16th, which would have earned him All-American status.

The Hawkeyes ended the meet with 6 team points.

— by Blake Dowson