UI axes special testing for students with disabilities

File+photo
File photo

File photo

File photo

Katelyn Weisbrod, [email protected]

A reduction in service from University of Iowa Student Disability Services has some faculty speaking out against the office.

Student Disability Services used to let students who required special conditions for test-taking to take their exams in the SDS office, where an employee would proctor the exam and send it back to the instructor. Students with these needs have conditions ranging from learning disabilities to being blind or deaf.

However, this service was reduced at the beginning of the spring semester.

Now SDS no longer administers tests to students who qualify for reduced distractions and 50 percent additional testing time. SDS director Mark Harris said these are the easiest exams to proctor, since they do not require additional technology or scribes.

SDS ran out of space to accommodate for the 30 percent increase in the number of students using SDS resources, Harris said, especially during midterms and final exams week.

Some faculty members have said they’re upset with the cuts in service.

Blake Whitten, a lecturer in the Tippie College of Business, said he and other faculty do not have time to proctor the tests under special conditions themselves, and he does not want to have his teaching assistants take time out of their office hours to administer special exams.

“It’s a quality of education problem,” Whitten said. “The percentage of students getting this extra testing is increasing over time, that’s a trend that appears here to say, but the university decided to push it on to the faculty and colleges, and that’s not working.”

However, instructors have technically always been responsible to provide these accommodations. Harris said the SDS provision was intended to be a courtesy to the faculty.

“Something we were doing to help make faculty’s lives easier became seen as an entitlement, and all of a sudden we were no longer doing it,” Harris said. “It’s been a really small number of faculty members who’ve complained about that, the majority have been fine with it.”

Whitten, however, said he has heard many other faculty express their concerns, both in the Tippie College of Business and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. The faculty were warned of the change in January, shortly after the decision was made.

“[The faculty] just can’t believe it. I’m not the only one who’s concerned about this.” Whitten said.

Whitten said he felt this was a poorly-timed change since it was in the middle of a school year, and he hopes it can be resolved by the fall semester.

Harris, however, does not see this changing anytime soon. He said to bring back the full service, SDS would require more space, and there are no plans in place currently to move SDS to a bigger space.

Katelyn Weisbrod, Managing Editor
  Email: [email protected] Twitter: @katelyn_eliz Katelyn Weisbrod is the Managing Editor at The Daily Iowan. Katelyn is a senior at the University of Iowa and has been a part of the DI since her freshman year. She covered sustainability and environmental issues as a news reporter for one year, and served as news editor for...
  • UI axes special testing for students with disabilities

Oasis Falafel opens second location in Omaha

UI Student Security kicks off third year of operations

Fulbright Scholar studies water quality in Romania

Daydreams Comics owner not worried about DC online streaming threat

New program through UI center seeks to end farming-related accidents

Hawkeye Completion Grant Program helps students with overdue U-Bill Charges

Student-led group confronts drug-use in Iowa City, advocates legalization of syringe services

Hawkeye Service Teams hopes to modify Alternative Spring Break

UI Counseling Service’s Old Capitol Mall location becomes increasingly popular

Iowa City man suspected of sexually abusing a minor