Jennings, Larson to leave Iowa

Iowa guard Whitney Jennings prepairs to shoot a free throw during the Iowa-Northwestern game in Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Wednesday, Jan. 14, 2014. Jennings had 10 points and 6 assists to help the Hawkeyes beat the Wildcats, 83-70. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

Head coach Lisa Bluder’s team just got two players smaller.

By Mario Williams

Iowa guard Whitney Jennings and forward Tagyn Larson have decided to leave the Iowa women’s basketball team to pursue playing closer to home.

“We appreciate the contributions Whitney and Tagyn made on and off the court in their Hawkeye careers,” Iowa head coach Lisa Bluder said in a release. “We wish them nothing but the best as they pursue opportunities closer to home.”

Jennings, a native of Logansport, Indiana played in all 67 games in her two-year career, with 62 starts. She recorded 626 points, 191 assists, 169 rebounds, and 77 steals during her time.

“I want to thank Coach Bluder and Iowa women’s basketball for the tremendous opportunity, but have decided to continue my academic and basketball career at a place closer to home,” Jennings said in a release.

Larson, a native of Sioux Falls, South Dakota appeared in five games as a freshman.

With the transfers and graduation of three seniors, the Hawkeyes will only return nine players to next year’s roster.

Follow @marioxwilliams on Twitter for Iowa athletics news, updates, and analysis.