Iowa softball goes 2-3 in Honolulu

By Courtney Baumann

The Iowa softball team improved to 8-16 over the weekend, when it traveled to Honolulu for the Rainbow Wahine Invitational.

The Hawkeyes faced both Hawaii and Texas, going 1-2 against the Rainbow Warriors and 1-1 against the Longhorns.

Mallory Kilian went 5-for-15 over the weekend, with 3 RBIs, including the game winner against Texas, and 2 runs scored.

The freshman from Fort Dodge started as a designated hitter for the first two games, then moved to third base during the second game and started at the position for the final three.

“Mallory has kind of been everywhere for us,” head coach Marla Looper said in a release. “She’s a pitcher/utility, and we knew that coming in. She’s done a nice job of filling in where the team needs her.”

Kaitlyn Mullarkey and Katy Taylor each added 4 hits for the Hawkeyes. Angela Schmiederer and Holly Hoffman tacked on 3 each.

Iowa batted .199 in the five games.

The pitching staff gave up only 6 earned runs. Elizabeth Wiegand, Shayla Starkenburg, Ashley Yoways, and Erin Riding all saw time in the circle.

In the first game against Texas, Wiegand pitched a complete game shutout, allowing just 6 hits and striking out 5. Riding and Starkenburg both contributed to Iowa’s second win. Riding pitched three innings, allowing 1 hit and striking out 2. Starkenburg was awarded the win after she completed four scoreless innings, allowing 1 hit.

“Two hits in a combined pitching effort and only 1 walk is very good,” Looper said in a release. “Hawaii is a quality ball club. They have good hitters, and they make adjustments. I was glad to see both of them buckle down and give us a chance to play. We’ve talked about finishing the past few days, and we did that today.”

The trip was Iowa’s last nonconference tournament before opening Big Ten play Friday through March 27, when the team will travel to Indiana for a three-game series.