Letters to the editor

A plausible conversation from the Iowa House of Representatives

“Madam Speaker Upmeyer: May the emeritus House District 60 representative have the floor?”

“The emeritus representative from Black Hawk County is recognized.”

“Madam Speaker: Thirty-six responsible legislators voted against HF 2281 that gives children of any age gun privileges. Section 2, Section 724.22, Code 26, New Section 8 notes that parents are held liable to any injured party for all damages caused by a child using a gun recklessly. Since 13 American children die every day due to guns and 1 death per day is as a result of a child misusing a gun, I amend HF 2281 to note that not only will parents be held liable for children’s gun misuse, but the 62 legislators who voted for this bill shall also be held strictly liable.”

“Emeritus Representative Kelley: Your amendment is out of order. Legislators will not be held accountable for their actions. Just like we ignore Iowa Code to establish the public-school funding allowable growth within 30 days of the governor announcing his budget, we too will not hold ourselves responsible for any deaths or injuries when a child misuses a gun.”

“But, Madam Speaker.”

“Emeritus Representative Kelley: you are out of order. Again, Iowa legislators will not be held responsible for their actions. We are only accountable as our party dictates and to the NRA.”

Doris J. Kelley

Emeritus Iowa House of Representatives, 2006-2010, Cedar Falls, Waterloo, & Hudson

Stop puppy mills

Buying puppies in a pet store like they are a new TV or a pair of jeans is quickly going out of style. The public is waking up and realizing that the puppies are coming from inhumane breeding facilities, commonly known as puppy mills. More than 120 cities/counties across the United States have banned the retail sale of dogs and cats, specifying that they can only come from rescues or shelters.

These retail bans are saving thousands of doggy lives by showcasing them in a new way. Pet stores are converting over and, contrary to popular belief, the reason behind this isn’t to put an end to all breeding or buying of dogs. Instead, this movement is helping to promote reputable breeders who refuse to sell through third parties (such as pet stores or brokers). In fact, the truly reputable breeders would never sell their puppies in a pet store because they care where those puppies are going. They wouldn’t sell to a stranger because they had the cash.

Because Iowa is home to more than 220 puppy mills, and is notoriously nown as the second worst state in the entire nation when it comes to these mass breeding facilities, we owe it to the dogs to do better. When making the decision to add a pet to your family, choose wisely. Adoption is always a great first option, and there are many loving pets at your local rescue or shelter waiting for a family to call their own. And if you choose to buy your next pet, make sure you ask questions and don’t buy the puppy without seeing how the parents are living.

So … How much is that doggy in the window? Too much. The cost falls on the suffering of the parent dogs back at the puppy mill. And that inhumane life is too high of a price.

Mindi Callison

Bailing Out Benji