Women’s tennis bounces back nicely 

Iowa’s Annette Dohanics serves during a doubles match at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Friday, April 10, 2015. Dohanics and McCulloch defeated Blik and Kisialeva, 8-3. Ohio State defeated Iowa, 5-2. (The Daily Iowan/Rachael Westergard)

The Iowa women’s tennis team bounced back this past weekend with back-to-back victories after being handed their first two losses of the season on Feb. 20 and 21.In the first match, Feb. 26 against Northern Iowa, the Hawkeyes defeated the Panthers handily, 7-0, in the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex.

“It’s what we have been aiming for; we had a great comeback today after last weekend,” said sophomore Anastasia Reimchen.

Iowa started off hot by claiming the doubles point with Reimchen and Kristen Thoms seizing a 6-1 victory. Hawkeyes Natalie Looney and Aimee Tarun then solidified the doubles point for the Hawkeyes. The last doubles match was being won by Annette Dohanics and Adorabol Huckleby, 5-4, before the match was discontinued.

“I think we were solid on all three courts in doubles and all six in singles and did a nice job coming out, starting strong and competed well,” Iowa head coach Katie Dougherty said.

The following day the Hawkeyes competed against Bradley.

The Hawks could do no wrong as they tacked on another 7-0 victory and improved their record to 8-2.

The Hawkeyes, who have not dropped a game at home this year, dominated Bradley from the start.

Freshman Huckleby stepped up by clinching the first win in singles for the team by beating Malini Wijesinghe (6-1, 6-0). Zoe Douglas won against Alexa Brandt (7-6, 6-4). Looney (6-4, 6-2) and Tarun (6-1, 6-4)recorded wins over Irinka Toidze and Ashley Thai. Reimchen closed with a win in the No. 1 singles spot in the third set (6-3, 7-5 [4]).

“I am pleased with how we competed all weekend,” Dougherty said. “The record speaks for itself, nonconference at home; we’re excited and ready to get Big Ten play underway.”

The Hawkeyes will have a three-day break, then hit the road against Nebraska on Wednesday.

This will be the first Big Ten team for Iowa and just the third away from home. Iowa is ranked No. 6 in the latest Big Ten standings.

“Nebraska is like our travel partner; we always play it in a singular match that’s going to be all by itself,” Dougherty said. “I think we’ll be the first Big Ten match it plays, which adds extra excitement. We had a good 4-3 match with [the Huskers] last year, and you look forward to really opening up the season and getting an early Big Ten match in.”