Ernst speaks out against food labeling

Then-U.S.+Senate+candidate+Joni+Ernst+delivers+a+speech+at+the+Johnson+County+Republican+headquarters+in+Iowa+City+on+Monday%2C+Nov.+3%2C+2014.+
Margaret Kispert
Then-U.S. Senate candidate Joni Ernst delivers a speech at the Johnson County Republican headquarters in Iowa City on Monday, Nov. 3, 2014.

Sen. Joni Ernst, R-Iowa, supports a bipartisan bill that will create a national solution and pre-empts state level efforts that mandate the labeling of food products that have genetically modified organisms.

The bill, introduced by Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry Committee Chairman Pat Roberts, R-Kan., passed committee and will move on to the full Senate for consideration.

“Allowing these proposed mandates to go forward would raise food prices for those who can least afford it — those middle- and low-income families just trying to get by from paycheck to paycheck,” Ernst said in a prepared statement.

Ernst said costs for labeling such food products are unnecessary and could be allocated else where. She also said in a press release that it’s been scientifically proven that biotech products are safe.

If the law passes, a voluntary national stndard for foods that contain GMOs could be created within two years. Within four years, the bill could require the U.S. Department of Agriculture to submit a report on the availability of information to consumers regarding foods with GMOs.

— by Rebecca Morin